New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New Mac user with a few questions :)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ChrissyAA3

ChrissyAA3 is on a distinguished road

Good evening guys (Or morning, or even afternoon depending on where you all are),

Im a new Mac user and have just purchased my self a new 15" MBP.
I really, really like it, however I do find the statement "It just works" to be a of a false claim. Anywho!
I have two quick questions if a few of you wouldn't mind answering:
1.) Is there a shortcut to hide all windows so I can access Finder a little easier?
2.) Im not expecting a soloution to this at all, however it would be great if someone could shed some light. Is there a way to make my Mac place files with certain extensions into a certain location? For example if I download an mp3 file from a website for it ti automatically be placed into my Music folder, jpg's into Pictures etc.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this

Chris
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyAA3 View Post
Good evening guys (Or morning, or even afternoon depending on where you all are),
It's not morning, afternoon, or night where I am...I'm in a different dimension!

Quote:
I have two quick questions if a few of you wouldn't mind answering:
1.) Is there a shortcut to hide all windows so I can access Finder a little easier?
Hit the "F11" key.

Welcome to Mac-Forums & welcome to the world of Macintosh!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ChrissyAA3

Hello Nick!
Thanks for the welcome, I'm sure its just a case of getting used to it.

Hitting the F11 button however is my volume button. If I press 'fn' and F11 however it just shows my desktop, doesn't actually hide everything so I can select Finder at the top. I want it so like instead of having to 'cmd' + 'H' all my windows to get Finder on my top bar, I can Hide them all

Thanks for the quick reply

Chris
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hello Nick!
Thanks for the welcome, I'm sure its just a case of getting used to it.

Hitting the F11 button however is my volume button.

Chris
Depending on the keyboard layout on a new 15" MacBook Pro...you may need to hold down the "fn" button (function button)...then press the "F11" key.

This should make all your open windows move to the borders of your MacBook Pro's display...giving you easy access to your desktop. The desktop IS the "Finder".

- Nick

Edit: Oops...sorry...I see you already tried that.

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
ChrissyAA3

Looks like I didn't edit my post in time

If I press 'fn' and F11 it just shows my desktop, doesn't actually hide everything so I can select Finder at the top. I want it so like instead of having to 'cmd' + 'H' all my windows to get Finder on my top bar, I can Hide them all

Thanks for the quick reply's!

Chris
QUOTE Thanks
ChrissyAA3

Ive found it! Exactly like you said, but just double tap my keypad on the desktop to get my Finder bar up!

Thank you so much!
Any idea about the second question?

Chris
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

You can also click on Finder in the dock to bring it to the front or use Command-Tab to switch to Finder. You you use a 3-finger swipe up (or 4 fingers, depending on how you set it up in System Preferences>Trackpad) to see all your open windows (Mission Control) and you'll see Finder there.

The thing you'll discover with Mac OS X is there's almost always at least 2 or 3 ways to do something. Just find which one works best for you.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Looks like I didn't edit my post in time

If I press 'fn' and F11 it just shows my desktop, doesn't actually hide everything so I can select Finder at the top. I want it so like instead of having to 'cmd' + 'H' all my windows to get Finder on my top bar, I can Hide them all

Thanks for the quick reply's!

Chris
I edited my post as well. I guess I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do.

If you press "fn" + "F11"...this moves all the open windows to the borders of your laptops display. This gives you easy access to anything on the desktop. Which on the "Macintosh World"...the desktop is the Finder.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

1) Click anywhere on the Desktop after you use F11. Voila.
2) You might want to look into using Automator. It's great for carrying out simple tasks on a whole mess of files systematically.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Ive found it! Exactly like you said, but just double tap my keypad on the desktop to get my Finder bar up!
When you say "Finder Bar" do you mean the "Dock"?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
ChrissyAA3

Wow, thats embarrassing, it was on the dock anyway!
But thank you all so much for your contributions. Discerptor I shall look into Automator, thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks guys
Chris
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
GIs there a way to make my Mac place files with certain extensions into a certain location? For example if I download an mp3 file from a website for it ti automatically be placed into my Music folder, jpg's into Pictures etc.
This one got lost along the way. I'm quite sure there is not an easy way to make this happen "automagically". Anyone have an idea?

Next post (#13): That's what I was thinking, but have never tried that. It's after the fact, not automatic as the OP wants, but I don't know if that's possible.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

The idea of cleaning up automatically anodyne moving files to specific folders should be possible via AppleScript or Automator. This has to be done in conjunction with a watch folder and a feature called folder actions.

I won't have time to work this out before the weekend but here is what I think needs to happen. Files you need to move are dumped into a folder. The script then runs, examines the filetype, and moves the files accordingly.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

if you are using LION you should be setup to pinch with 5 fingers to see your desktop, unless you have made some changes in the touchpad settings. If you are not sure how to use it you can check it in settings -> touchpad for video instructions...

Quote:
up there with the bEst of the bEst....
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
2.) Im not expecting a soloution to this at all, however it would be great if someone could shed some light. Is there a way to make my Mac place files with certain extensions into a certain location? For example if I download an mp3 file from a website for it ti automatically be placed into my Music folder, jpg's into Pictures etc.
Well, using iTunes for music downloads and iPhoto for pictures kind of takes care of that automatically.

But to answer your question, YES, there are third-party utilities that will "file" any files that come into your Downloads folder to the places you assign automatically. Essentially, pre-written automator actions like this one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Capsule, Bonjour and Waking remotely... | Why can my Mac see all my old files? »