New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

zip problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

John Greer

John Greer is on a distinguished road

I'm new to Apple (converted in June, from decades of PC).
I want to archive my MS Office backup files.
I had no trouble doing it on my PC, but I'm having trouble converting the command to run on my Mac.
I have it running (made it executable), but it's not finding my files.

When I run:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
zip -m -r -o -9 -dc -dd  /Volumes/Backup2048/Word /Volumes/*.wbk "/Volumes/Backup of*.docx"
I get these messages:
zip warning: name not matched: /Volumes/*.wbk
zip warning: name not matched: /Volumes/Backup of*.docx
btw - Backup2048 is my USB backup drive and HDD2048 is my internal drive.

HELP!

-John

27" iMac w 4x3.4 GHz, iPhone 5 wannabe, 64GB iPod Touch & MobileMe
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Ok, first.. what's the expected output? Are you trying to create a single zip of the contents of all .wbk files in

Volumes/Backup2048/Word\ /Volumes/

Or are you trying to zip each wbk file?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
John Greer

I'm trying to create a single Zip file called WORD in the /Volumes/Backup2048/ folder. This zip file will contain all the *.wbk and Backup*.docx files on any drive on my iMac.

I think my problem is more fundamental.

If I say
ls -G -h -k -R /Volume/*.wbk
it returns
ls: /Volume/*.wbk: No such file or directory
yet if I drill down to the directory that contains the files, the LS command works. It's almost as if the -R switch is not working for this command. -R works for other files. Strange...

-John

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Oh! Try this

find / -name *.wbk

That should show every file on your system (from the root dir / down). I really prefer find to ls for this type of work in general

mike
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Wouldn't making a smart folder of all *.wbk files and then archiving them (right click) be both faster and more elegant? Or did I miss something?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Possibly. It depends on what your definition of 'more elegant' is I suppose. Personally I'd have done something like...

find / -name *.wbk -exec zip -g /path/to/whatever.zip {} ';'

Since I'm RARELY in Finder, but ALWAYS have a terminal window open, for me.. this IS more elegant. Especially if you cron it

mike
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Oh you UNIX/CLI geeks!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Oh you UNIX/CLI geeks!
I was like that except a DOS command line freak! Loved even in Windows to use the DOS command prompt. I know a little Unix and terminal, but for what the OP is doing, I probably would just get the files together and right click!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Quote:
Oh you UNIX/CLI geeks!
So, how exactly does one with a fine arts education get into development? I have nooooo idea.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
John Greer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Oh! Try this

find / -name *.wbk

That should show every file on your system (from the root dir / down). I really prefer find to ls for this type of work in general
That command found the files!
That's the good news.
Now if I could only figure out why zip is not working...

-John

QUOTE Thanks
John Greer

Quote:
Wouldn't making a smart folder of all *.wbk files and then archiving them (right click) be both faster and more elegant? Or did I miss something?
Being new to Mac, the obvious question is, "What's a Smart Folder?"

Time for me to read some...

[edit]
Thanks for the pointer to Smart Folders. This looks like a good way to repeatedly find stuff, but I'd still like zip to be able to find and remove certain files for me.
[/edit]

-John

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Mac user wants to Upgrade Ram | Time Machine:include from excluded? »