New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Two Macs and nowhere to go....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

romer005

romer005 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook1,1 Intel Core Duo 2 GHz 1GB

I am new to the forum, I hope this is the right one for my question.

I have two 13" white MacBook from the mid 2007: one 2 GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 1 GB 667 MHZ, OS X 10.5.8; the other a 1.83 GHz Duo and 512 MB 667 MHz, OS X 10.4.11
Many new programs don't work with them... should I get more memory and/or a new OS X (if feasible for my machines), or just let them go and get something new? No iPhone or iPad yet!

Thank you, your comments will be very appreciated, I have been stuck with this issue not knowing what to do for long time...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Neither of your Macs are able to run Lion which means the latest version of OS X you can install is Snow Leopard. Both machines could certainly use more memory, however, since they're 4 years old it might be best not spend money on them. I would consider selling them and buying a later model MacBook or MacBook Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
scudder

scudder is on a distinguished road

Hi, I also have a mid 2007 core duo and I upgraded to 2GB RAM for less than 40. This made it possible to load Lion. It works perfectly. Go for the extra RAM and enjoy.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There is a big difference between 'Core Duo' and 'Core 2 Duo'.
The only MB's that had a Core Duo are from mid '06.
The MB's from '07 are all Core 2 Duo.
The 1.83 Ghz is a Core 2 Duo as there was never a Core Duo MacBook at that speed.

The Core Duo cannot run Lion.
The Core 2 Duo can run Lion.

The late '06 to mid '07 Core 2 Duo Mac notebooks can be upgraded to 4GB RAM (only 3GB can be used) which will maintain the dual channel capability and the hard drive can be upgraded to any 2.5" - 9.5mm SATA drive.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
scudder

scudder is on a distinguished road

My bad, yes mine is a Core2Duo... sorry to raise his hopes
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudder View Post
My bad, yes mine is a Core2Duo... sorry to raise his hopes
That's ok - if both of the ops MacBooks are indeed from '07, they are also Core2Duo machines.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
romer005

Hi and thanks you all! No wonder the confusion (and my ignorance...). Here is the clarification if that helps:
"About this Mac"
-for the one with OS X 10.5.8 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, Memory 1 GB 667 MHz
-for the one with OS X 10.4.11 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory 512 MB 667 MHz

bobtomay: I have my cup of coffee every day, do stupid things fast often enough (uh... energy depends on the weather, like most things in MN), do my best with trees... but eating a beaver?!!!... about things that come out of my mouth... too many too fast too much energy...
Live intensely, don't spend time regretting what's irreversible and cherish all you can... including beavers! they do stop some floods, after all...
QUOTE Thanks
romer005

Thank you, it makes a lot of sense. I'll do that, keep you posted.
Liked your essay, very useful since I never follow those rules, made my own folders and in the process I am sure diminished the efficiency of the machines... well, never too late to learn!
QUOTE Thanks
zacster

zacster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac 20" Core Duo 256mb VRam 115gb SSD 2gb Ram Finally!!!

I wouldn't toss out the Core Duo machine quite yet. I have an iMac configured pretty much the same, with 1gb of ram and 2ghz processor and it runs fine. Just don't try to edit 1080p video on it.
QUOTE Thanks
romer005

That is good to know, they are such good machines I hate giving them up!
QUOTE Thanks
G4 ibookboy

G4 ibookboy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: g4 ibook 1.2/512 leopard, 2007 MacBook 2.0 c2d lion, 20" imac 1.8 cd , 2010 mac mini

what is the maximum amount of ram for a core duo imac with the 1.83 chip
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Macbook Pro | Iphone Sync with new MBP »