Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Switcher Hangout (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/)
-   -   is it ok a MBP to be remain plugged even the battery is 100%? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/248340-ok-mbp-remain-plugged-even-battery-100-a.html)

BrainEater 08-21-2011 11:27 AM

is it ok a MBP to be remain plugged even the battery is 100%?

im a noob on MBP. is it ok if its remain plugged? will the battery will be damaged and it will affect battery life?

louishen 08-21-2011 12:29 PM

When the battery icon in the meny=u bar has a little plug in it then the mac is running of the mains direst, essentially resting the battery and hopefully making it last longer

chscag 08-21-2011 07:28 PM

Moved to correct forum. Not a topic for the "Lounge".

Doug b 08-21-2011 09:29 PM

It's fine to have it plugged it so long as you're working with it. When you walk away from it however, you should unplug it. Same for when you put it to sleep, unplug it. This practice will keep the battery at its peak health throughout its lifespan.

Doug

bobtomay 08-22-2011 05:50 AM

My wife has a MB, now 50 months old, which she has never unplugged from the wall outlet. It has been used on battery during that time only when I borrowed it.

The last time I checked it about a month ago, the original battery had less than 30 cycles, it has been calibrated exactly two times - only because I had borrowed and used it until it died - and the current capacity is currently 5% higher than original.

Meanwhile, my 56 month old MBP, used 65-70% plugged in and 30-35% unplugged with monthly calibrations as recommended by Apple is now on it's 3rd battery with replacement after the battery hit 1-1.5 hours max uptime.

Read Apple's recommendations at: http://www.apple.com/batteries/ - Follow all the links and educate yourself.

After you've done that, it's your computer. Disregard what everyone else says about the battery in your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone, Blackberry, HTC, Android device, car, boat, TV remote, mouse, shall I go on??? Use the thing the way you need to use it. Forget about the freaking battery the same as you do with every other device you use that has a battery, keeping in mind what you've gleaned from Apple's recommendations and replace the battery when it needs it.

chas_m 08-22-2011 07:07 AM

I agree with Bob 100%.

My own personal experience with my four-year-old Blackbook (which remains plugged in 98% of the time and is only drained/calibrated maybe 3-4 times a year) is that the original battery now gives me about 60% of its original capacity (135 cycles just for the record). This is exactly on par with where this battery should be for its age (ie loses about 10% per year on average).

I *did* calibrate it (ie charged it fully, ran it to empty, charged it fully again) the first time I used the machine, but as I say I haven't done so regularly ever since, and most of the time it's on my desk plugged in.

So as you can see, mileages vary. As long as you calibrate from time to time (per Apple's guidelines, which are not laws or rules just *guidelines*), you should get as much life from the battery as the technology is capable of giving you.

PatM 08-22-2011 01:59 PM

But to the OP question, Apple does not recommend leaving the notebook plugged in all the time as evidenced by this article. But leaving it plugged in when the battery is fully charged will not harm the computers battery. While I agree with the others that "Just use your notebook" is the best was to go, you can't completely discount what Apple recommends. Every user experience will most likely differ as far as battery longevity. Most users do not leave it plugged in all the time because lets face it isn't that why they bought a portable notebook??

Anyway, the question was will it harm the battery if it is left plugged in if the battery is fully charged. The answer is no.

bobtomay I could not get your link to work.

Pat

I added a link below.

Apple - Batteries - Notebooks

bobtomay 08-22-2011 02:17 PM

Thanks Pat - your link isn't working either. Have sent a question on up the chain of command.

pigoo3 08-22-2011 02:18 PM

My experience is exactly the same as "bobtomay" mentioned...there is absolutely no problem leaving your Apple laptop plugged in almost 100% of the time.

What's best for batteries is having the electrons flow in both directions (charge/discharge). So leaving the laptop plugged in all of the time is fine...but every once in a while you should unplug the laptop and let the battery discharge somewhat (reversing the direction of the electron flow).

What I usually do is (approximately every 2 weeks) I run my MacBook Pro off the battery for an hour.

So although I did say that it was ok to leave your Apple laptop plugged in 100% of the time...if you do the procedure I mentioned above (run laptop off the battery for 1 hour/2 weeks)...with 720 hours in the average 30 day month...that works out that you would be leaving the computer plugged in for 99.72% of the time.

This procedure is for someone who almost never goes mobile with their laptop. If someone regularly runs their laptop off the battery...then the electrons in the battery are already regularly flowing in both directions...which is what's important to maximize battery life.

I've had my current MacBook Pro for 3 years now (had a new battery at the time)...it is plugged in approximately 99.72% of the time...and it still gets around 4.5 to 5 hours on a full battery charge (what it's supposed to get when the battery is new).

- Nick

PatM 08-22-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobtomay (Post 1286628)
Thanks Pat - your link isn't working either. Have sent a question on up the chain of command.

Whew, glad it isn't us! :-)

toMACsh 08-22-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louishen (Post 1286094)
When the battery icon in the meny=u bar has a little plug in it then the mac is running of the mains direst, essentially resting the battery and hopefully making it last longer

Maybe you could correct the typos there so some sense can be made from it. I'm sure that "direst" was not what you intended.