New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Reference Guides

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MikeV99

MikeV99 is on a distinguished road

I have not found any reference guides for Lion (probably not surprising since Lion has just been released). The one Kindle book I purchased (A Newbies Guide for Switching to Mac) was not for Lion and rather superficial.

I need a detailed reference guide that does more than repeat the obvious. Is there one coming out for which I should be monitoring?

Also, what about a reference guide for terminal commands?

[soapbox]I wish Apple and Apple developers (including for the iPad/iPhone) would provide more documentation. I guess they would have to charge more then. However, I sure waste a lot of time bouncing around trying to figure out how an app or system command works (and no, most of the time they are not intuitively easy to learn to use).[/soapbox]

Thanks,

Mike

iMac, MacBook AIR (mid 2011), iPad 3, iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
dmccloud

dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

There are already several OSX Lion Guides on the market - including for the Kindle:

Amazon.com: Mac OS X Lion: Peachpit Learning Series eBook: Robin Williams, John Tollett: Kindle Store

Amazon.com: Mac OS X Lion: Visual QuickStart Guide eBook: Maria Langer: Kindle Store

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...X+Lion&x=0&y=0

The first link is a book I've actually seen at both Barnes & Noble and the Apple Store here in Anchorage. The third link is just the search I did on the Kindle Store for "OSX Lion"...

-------------------------------------------------
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
MikeV99

Thanks for the response. I was hoping someone that owns some of those and others would give me their thoughts about a book's usefulness.

Mike

QUOTE Thanks
dmccloud

dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

The only thing I've bought was the Ars Technica Lion review that John Siracusa wrote. It's only $4.99 from the Kindle Store. I have looked at the Peachpit book on Lion, and have even recommended it to a few people, all of whom have said it was a good book.

-------------------------------------------------
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual is the one you'll want when it hits the shelves.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MikeV99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual is the one you'll want when it hits the shelves.
Thanks, I will keep an eye out for it.

I've downloaded a Kindle sample of Mac OS X Lion: Peachpit Learning Series. Thought I would check it out.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you're looking to get deep into the weeds of Lion's terminal underbelly, I'd suggest a visit to either O'Reilly's website or a simple check of any Lion books from them on Amazon.
QUOTE Thanks
MikeV99

Ah yes, I had forgotten about O'Reilly from my Red Hat & BSD days.

Thanks

QUOTE Thanks
MikeV99

The Kindle sample chapters of a couple of the books have images that are fuzzy when pinch-to-zoom is used on my iPad. That is probably because the images were not created with sufficient resolution. The author of Adobe Lightroom 3 - The Missing FAQ had a similar problem and redid the images and replaced the first edition with the updated Kindle book. You would think authors writing books about Apple technology would do a better job with their images.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So the new beast arrived but email probs | Recording voice and instrument »