New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Two underrated browsers/Omniweb and Camino!?!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ronin67

ronin67 has a spectacular aura about

Did a little bit of exploring for free web browsers and found two I never heard of before; Omniweb and Camino. I don't think I ever heard anyone talk about these browsers on Mac-Forums. Is there anyone else who uses either of these two browsers? Also, what are the pros and cons of each? They seem to work very well for me and it is interesting learning the different layouts. Any input on these two browsers would be deeply appreciated.

May God Bless!

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Both have been discussed here many times over the years. OmniWeb though is not talked about very much anymore. Camino is a Native OSX browser designed by Mozilla so it uses the same engine as Firefox. Only thing is that Camino is very behind in development and has not been updated in a while.

I used to use Camino back in the 10.3 days in fact but switched to Safari and kept using it.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

@ronin67:

If you haven't already tried it, give Opera a look. It's a nice browser that has been around for many years. I used it extensively when running Windows - back when it was pay ware. I keep it handy as a second browser to Safari.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Opera is an excellent browser. Agree with Chscag. I have used it for many years even back on OS2 and early Macs and always loved it.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Didn't know you were an OS/2 user. Great OS, too bad IBM abandoned it after all the in fighting with Microsoft. I remember having a copy of Warp 2 for awhile. I also know some folks who still use OS/2 to run their bulletin board software. Most folks don't know that some of the old BBS's are still around.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Didn't know you were an OS/2 user. Great OS, too bad IBM abandoned it after all the in fighting with Microsoft. I remember having a copy of Warp 2 for awhile. I also know some folks who still use OS/2 to run their bulletin board software. Most folks don't know that some of the old BBS's are still around.
Started with OS2 2.5 then bought Warp 3 when it first came out. In the end got Warp 4 but by then it was dying. Loved that OS. So stable.

BBS? I was/am the Sysop of The Connection BBS here in Modesto calif. Ran it non stop from late 1991 till 2001 then when I moved here to this place put it back up Telnet. Its' still around but down right now. I used OS2 for the OS on my BBS almost to the end. The thing never crashed. What can I say. CWA is another BBS sysop here. I was also a Hub for Fidonet in the 1.209 area. I am still on some Fidonet node lists. Most here will not remember Fidonet, but before the Internet really took off, it was a large system that sent mail all over the world.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The only problem with Camino is the glacial development speed. As it is now, the most recent stable version of Camino (2.0.7) uses the same rendering engine that Mozilla shipped with Firefox 3 which was released more than three years ago. Their testing version right now is better but only brings in the version of Gecko (Mozilla's rendering/layout engine) that was used in Firefox 3.6 which was released more than a year and a half ago. So, this means that when the Camino devs finally release 2.1, it will already be at least a year and a half behind in terms of standards support. So, my recommendation would be to use Firefox if you really want to use a Mozilla browser.

As for OmniWeb, I've never really used it so I'll pass on making a judgment. I will however echo the support for Opera made by chscag and dtravis7 - it's an excellent browser.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Agreed with Van 100%! Camino could be an excellent browser if they would just ramp up the development a bit. I just downloaded and installed the lasted beta. It's nice but so old and such an old version of the engine. Sun Spider here was close to 1000ms Vs under 300 with FF6.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac mouse lag | Running linux on my Mac book pro »