New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iTunes Back-Up HELP!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CJY91285

CJY91285 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" i5. 4GB, 2.4Ghz, 320GB. Mid 2010

Hi,

I'm new to mac. I need to back-up my iTunes purchases and movies with a DVD disc. How do I do this? I have a DVD disc in front of me but I don't know how I'm going to do this. I tried looking at the Apple.com/support but I still don't get it. I can't find File > Library but I don't see it and I don't know where to see it. Anyways, how do I do this? LOL I feel stupid.

I'm a virgo? LOL
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Backing up to a DVD disc is better than not backing up at all, but I wouldn't call it practical. DVDs don't hold much data -- 4.7GB per disc -- so you won't be able to get many songs or movies on a disc.

Is there some particular reason you can't simply backup the entire iTunes Library folder (which is in your Music folder) to an external hard drive? Is there some reason you're not using Time Machine to do this already?
QUOTE Thanks
CJY91285

HOw do i do it though? I can't find "back up to dvd disc" anywhere

I'm a virgo? LOL
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'll just wait for the answer to my questions and then we can proceed.
QUOTE Thanks
CJY91285

I have tried doing it with my external hard drive but I'm having trouble. I figured if I tried with dvd disc would be better.

I'm a virgo? LOL
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Can you be more specific about what exactly you're having trouble with? Can you answer the question about Time Machine please?
QUOTE Thanks
CJY91285

I'm not doing time machine because my sister and i are going to share the same external hard drive. so I'm not doing it for the iTunes back up on it either.

I'm a virgo? LOL
QUOTE Thanks
Diamondback

Diamondback is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 2010 15" MBP 2.53GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD @ 7200 rpm, Hi-Res AG Screen; OSX 10.7.1

As an FYI, Apple removed the option to back up your songs, etc. to DVD in iTunes 10.4. See this link for details.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
CJY91285

How do I back up with my external hard drive then?

I'm a virgo? LOL
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Time Machine will take care of this (and backing up everything else) automatically for you. Just plug an external hard drive in, Time Machine will ask if you want to use it for backup, you do, and ... well, that's it!

It will back up your entire hard drive first, then once an hour will back up any changes made. Automatically. You need do nothing else. Your iTunes and everything else on your hard drive will be automatically and continuously backed up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Running linux on my Mac book pro | Copying table into MS Excel for Mac »