New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Gaming?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bogaman426

Bogaman426 is on a distinguished road

Hello all, im looking at getting an new Imac, im sold on everything but one thing, so im hoping that you pros can help me out a bit. I like to play games on my computer, im not a hard core gamer, but like to play every once in a while. here are the specs im looking at for the imac i want.

Display:27 inch( i love the size of that screen)
Processor: 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
Hard Drive:1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
Graphics:AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

Will i be able to play games like Starcraft 2(or anyother game for that matter) on ultra settings? do the games look clean/good? will the set up im looking at cut it? the reason i ask is because i know that with a PC you can upgrade the Graphics easy but i dont think that you can do that with a Imac ( correct me if im wrong) so with this graphics card cut it for a a couple of years? i will be studying computer programming and would like to know if the imac is good for that kind of thing? fill free to tell me what you all think or if you think i should change something to make it better.
thanks
bogaman426
PS. is the solid state drive worth it?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The only machine that would probably be better at playing games than the one you picked is the Mac Pro with a beefed up graphics card.

Don't worry - it's a good choice.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogaman426 View Post
PS. is the solid state drive worth it?
In my opinion, the price/performance factor isn't quite there yet. Even though SSDs have come a long way in a short time, they're still nascent products with legitimate longevity/reliability concerns.

Then again, since it's not all that easy to open the case on an iMac, if you really desire the absolute best disk I/O money can buy at the moment, then it might make sense to get one built right in.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

yep, you will be able to max out SCII with that no problems. Its not a massively intensive game to run anyway. Its more of a hog towards the CPU side tbh.

For programming - yep. you can run all three major OSes on a Mac - OSX, Windows, and all variants of Linux. So you can use every language available, any particular tool you prefer etc etc, and develop for whatever platform you want.

You cant upgrade the graphics card. But put it this way. currently the top of the range AMD graphics card is a 6990. the second best is the 6970. the one in the iMac is mobile GPU, which means lower power draw, lower clock speeds and presumably less onboard RAM, but still top specs in terms of mobile GPUs. while it probably wont beat a full on dedicated desktop 68xx series, its one of the best atm.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Bogaman426

Bogaman426 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for all the help! im convinced that its what im looking for! i might not get the SSD and just go for the 1T Hard drive, save some money: ) nice to know that i can do all of the programming that i want on it as well. Macs are the Best!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What's the best program to clean temp files, history | Recovering M$ Outlook email folders..... »