New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Some questions on using multiple displays.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Decker87

Decker87 is on a distinguished road

I just started a new job in which I will be using a MacBook Pro to do some development work. I have never used a Mac as a primary machine, but I have supported them in a previous IT job.

I have two monitors: an LCD I use as my primary display, and the display on the Macbook itself. I would like to know if there are any equivalents to the following windows 7 keyboard shortcuts:

Windows+Up = Maximize
Windows+Right = Move focused window right one display
Windows+Left = Move focused window left one display
Shift+Home = select text to the beginning of the line
Shift+End = select text to the end of the line

Also, since I am using a keyboard designed for windows, is there a way to change the copy/cut/paste commands to use Ctrl instead of 'command'?
QUOTE Thanks
Decker87

Update: I actually found a tool called "Right Zoom" that actually maximizes windows. So, that problem is solved. I still need to figure out a way to quickly make windows move to different displays.
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker87 View Post
Update: I actually found a tool called "Right Zoom" that actually maximizes windows. So, that problem is solved. I still need to figure out a way to quickly make windows move to different displays.
Do you want it to move quicker than dragging it to the other display...? That's what I usually do when I want a window from one display to another.

Might want to us BetterSnapTool. You can drag the window to the edge, wait half a second, and the window will move to another space. It also maximize windows so you can drag the window to another display and maximize with one continuos move.
QUOTE Thanks
Decker87

Quote:
Originally Posted by quin View Post
Do you want it to move quicker than dragging it to the other display...? That's what I usually do when I want a window from one display to another.

Might want to us BetterSnapTool. You can drag the window to the edge, wait half a second, and the window will move to another space.
Yes, I am looking for speed. I do a lot of my work in a terminal (with my hands on the keyboard) and it's a huge pain to have to use a mouse for these things.

A second or two might not sound like much - but it really adds up when you have to do these things every minute or two in a 9-hour workday.

Alas, I found a program that solves all my problems, called SnapUp, or SnapZoom, or something of the like. It was $13, and I bought it in a heartbeat. Even if I lose one second every two minutes, it would pay for itself in less than two weeks. I hope apple considers making these standard features.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Keep in mind that although Mac apps can now go full screen without the need for a tool like Right Zoom, you won't be able to use an external monitor to extend your desktop. For some reason, whenever you make an application full screen on the external display, it shifts back to the Macbook screen. Under Lion that is. If the Macbook is running a previous version of OS X, you'll be able to have things in full screen on the external monitor while keeping your own windows open on the Macbook screen.
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
Keep in mind that although Mac apps can now go full screen without the need for a tool like Right Zoom, you won't be able to use an external monitor to extend your desktop. For some reason, whenever you make an application full screen on the external display, it shifts back to the Macbook screen. Under Lion that is. If the Macbook is running a previous version of OS X, you'll be able to have things in full screen on the external monitor while keeping your own windows open on the Macbook screen.
This is because the fullscreen will default to which ever display has the system tool bar. To change that, the next time when the external is hooked up, under System Preference>Display>Arrangement, move the white bar that represent the system tool bar, to the thumbnail of the external display. This will set the external display as main. Your fullscreen apps will default to it.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

That only makes it work in reverse. The external display goes full screen, but then the Macbook display just shows the gray linen screen. There's no way to have an application in full screen on one monitor and have all your other open applications remain on the other. One of my complaints about Lion. I hope they restore this function soon. I used it all the time before.
QUOTE Thanks
iNB

iNB is on a distinguished road

Hmm, perhaps it depends on the application then.

I have XBMC configured to start in full screen on my second display when my mac boots (I can then use my iPod touch as a remote). My main iMac screen looks and works normally with the mouse and keybaord. This is using Lion.

I've only had a mac for a few weeks, so if I'm missing something obvious then please excuse my ignorance
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trying to justify a Mac | What's the best program to clean temp files, history »