New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

google plus


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
bon3407

 
Member Since: Aug 13, 2011
Posts: 8
bon3407 is on a distinguished road

bon3407 is offline
I downloaded google plus from app store on my imac... but the icon just sits on the dock... doesn't open.
Any help?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

 
chscag's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 23, 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 39,669
chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

chscag is offline
I couldn't find a "Google Plus" in the Mac App store. What is it that you downloaded? Can you be specific? As far as I can tell there are four apps that have to do with Google.
QUOTE Thanks
dmccloud

 
Member Since: Aug 30, 2009
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 145
dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

dmccloud is offline
The only Google+ App I know of is from the iTunes App store, and runs on iOS, not OS X. There are a few addon apps that extend some sort of functionality to Google+, but considering that they haven't even released the APIs yet, I doubt they'd work well.

-------------------------------------------------
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 16,769
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
"Google Plus is just like Facebook, only without the strong protection of your privacy."
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

 
Dysfunction's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 6,638
Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Dysfunction is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
"Google Plus is just like Facebook, only without the strong protection of your privacy."
Wow, you really have something against Google in general

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 16,769
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
Not at all. Like everyone else, I have to use their services from time to time.

But it's dumb not to understand that they are *primarily* an advertising agency, and that everything they do is in service to that. That's how they make their money, as opposed to say Apple.

If you're fine with that, that's okay with me and obviously with you. But you should BE AWARE OF IT just as you should be aware of it with Facebook, since Google goes to great lengths to hide the extent of their data collection of you. By comparison, Facebook makes it obvious.

I'm just relating the facts, it's up to you what you do with it.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

 
schweb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 27, 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 13,198
schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

schweb is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
"Google Plus is just like Facebook, only without the strong protection of your privacy."
That's pretty funny because Google+ actually has stronger privacy protection built-in just naturally and the EULA is actually more friendly in terms of privacy and content ownership compared to Facebook.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

 
Dysfunction's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 6,638
Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Dysfunction is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Not at all. Like everyone else, I have to use their services from time to time.

But it's dumb not to understand that they are *primarily* an advertising agency, and that everything they do is in service to that. That's how they make their money, as opposed to say Apple.

If you're fine with that, that's okay with me and obviously with you. But you should BE AWARE OF IT just as you should be aware of it with Facebook, since Google goes to great lengths to hide the extent of their data collection of you. By comparison, Facebook makes it obvious.

I'm just relating the facts, it's up to you what you do with it.
What I'm referring to is your ever-present comments in any thread to do with Google, most having nothing to do with the question at hand. You, sir, have an axe to grind.. admit it. It's Okay.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

 
Doug b's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 22, 2008
Location: Forest Hills, NYC
Posts: 3,344
Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Doug b is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Not at all. Like everyone else, I have to use their services from time to time.

But it's dumb not to understand that they are *primarily* an advertising agency, and that everything they do is in service to that. That's how they make their money, as opposed to say Apple.

If you're fine with that, that's okay with me and obviously with you. But you should BE AWARE OF IT just as you should be aware of it with Facebook, since Google goes to great lengths to hide the extent of their data collection of you. By comparison, Facebook makes it obvious.

I'm just relating the facts, it's up to you what you do with it.

Right. Because Facebook isn't about advertising and doesn't make money as such.







And of course, for good measure:
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

 
vansmith's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 17,894
vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

vansmith is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
If you're fine with that, that's okay with me and obviously with you. But you should BE AWARE OF IT just as you should be aware of it with Facebook, since Google goes to great lengths to hide the extent of their data collection of you.
That must be why there privacy policies are hidden . And if you have evidence beyond that, not only would I love to see it but I'd love to know how you deciphered their "great lengths."

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
By comparison, Facebook makes it obvious.
No they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I'm just relating the facts, it's up to you what you do with it.
Google+ doesn't spy on you anymore than Facebook does. That's just the fact that I'm passing along to everyone here. As for your point, you call it fact, I call it conjecture. Without evidence, who's to decide who's more right?

I have to agree with Dysfunction - you have a problem with Google whether you'll admit it or not. In and of itself, that's fine - we all have problems with some companies. That said, if you genuinely don't have a problem, then you're being hypocritical by using their products and believing that only some are free from their privacy issues (why else would you use them?).

The ambivalence in your argument doesn't help to make it any stronger and it might help us if you clarified not only your evidence but why you feel that some of their services are worthy of being exempt from your scrutiny. Otherwise, I'd politely ask you to stop spreading FUD that based on nothing more than well articulated conjecture.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 22, 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 16,769
chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

chas_m is offline
Will this do?

If you want to carry on believing that Google is the same as every other internet service, that's your prerogative.
QUOTE Thanks
bon3407

 
Member Since: Aug 13, 2011
Posts: 8
bon3407 is on a distinguished road

bon3407 is offline
I downloaded tab for Google plus.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

 
vansmith's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 19, 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 17,894
vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

vansmith is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Will this do?

If you want to carry on believing that Google is the same as every other internet service, that's your prerogative.
I fail to see how that is any worse that Facebook which, according to the article you linked to, "even goes so far as to ask its users, whose accounts have been temporarily disabled for violating certain terms, to provide official photo ID to help get their stalking privileges reinstated."

Second, that has absolutely nothing to do with their advertising business which seems to be a major part of your argument.

Thirdly, the argument is based on providing a real name which is quite possibly the most common piece of a real identity most of us have online. In fact, it took me three seconds to find your real name Charles when searching your user name in Google (it was your flickr profile which was the very first result). If it's your real name that you're worried about having online, you should do a search of your username and/or your real name - you'd be surprised what you find.

Fourth, I just created a new Google profile and here is a screenshot of the page: Screen Shot 2011-08-14 at 11.37.11 AM.png

I can assure you that my name is not Namey McNamerson. Nor is my name in my YouTube profile: Screen Shot 2011-08-14 at 11.40.26 AM.png

Nowhere in my Google Account is my real name other than in the places I've allowed it to be (G+ profile).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dmccloud

 
Member Since: Aug 30, 2009
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 145
dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

dmccloud is offline
Facebook has a long track record of implementing new measures that do not protect your privacy (i.e, automatic face recognition), then requiring users to opt out - that is assuming they can find the option to begin with. In fact, Facebook is developing a reputation as a company that places new features and advertisers BEFORE customer privacy, which is a very bad position for any internet-based company. Here's just a fex examples:

Facebook privacy concerns - YNN, Your News Now

Facebook Privacy: 10 Settings Every User Needs to Know

Facebook's Privacy Issues Are Even Deeper Than We Knew - Forbes

And Facebook still doesn't have something even close to Google's Privacy Center:

Google Privacy Center

-------------------------------------------------
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

 
schweb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 27, 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 13,198
schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

schweb is offline
So let's get back on track. If you'd like to continue the Google bashing, start a new thread since that's pretty off topic in this one.

To the original poster, this is the software you downloaded:
Tab for Google+ on the Mac App Store

It should be on your dock or on launchpad if you have Lion. Once you run it it will be in your menu bar.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Onyx download for Lion OS | cannot open office for word and others »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Why Android Honeycomb should have Apple scared the8thark Apple Rumors and Reports 37 02-06-2011 10:04 PM
Syncing iCal with Google Calendar and CalDAV froze my iCal g725s OS X - Apps and Games 1 01-02-2011 10:02 PM
Syncing Address Book with Google Contacts (again) DennyL OS X - Operating System 2 08-17-2010 08:32 PM
Are Google going too far? ipodmacfan Schweb's Lounge 22 05-24-2010 10:00 AM
Does Google Know Too Much? mac57 Schweb's Lounge 15 12-09-2007 10:14 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?