New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Want to sell my Macbook pro...necessary steps

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Trolle

Trolle is on a distinguished road

So, I want to sell my Macbook Pro, not because I don't want it but because I want to upgrade. I live overseas and can sell my 18 month old Macbook Pro and pay a small amount extra for a newly refurbished model (I travel often to the US). This would give me an updated computer with a fresh warranty...plus help out someone else. It's a win-win.

I found a website once that explained how to prepare your Mac for sale and make it up to date. In other words, update the OS and let the new buyer get the fancy welcome screen.

Basically, I have the install disks from the original purchase (pre-SL OS) and the SL upgrade discs. I would like to also purchase Lion, but this won't have any discs.

Is there anyway to delete my data (have TM of course), update with SL and then to Lion, while allowing the new buyer to customize like a first-time purchase?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Follow this link: How to make a bootable Lion install disc or drive | Operating Systems | MacUser | Macworld

With the installer for Lion in hand..do a fresh install on the machine, when the system goes down for a reboot after installation, turn the computer off and when the new owner starts up the computer it will go through the welcome process..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Trolle

Thanks...but with this process doesn't the new owner have to update the machine?

The link that I had read in the past described a way to make the machine totally up to date before the sale. In other words, the new owner turns on the machine and the only update to any OS software is from between my shutting it down and their turning it on.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

That's correct..if you create an installer for Lion and do a fresh install, when the new owner turns the Mac on and starts using it only new updates to Lion will need to be downloaded, since there haven't been any updates to Lion yet..it'll be as new as anything else..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Trolle

Actually, I see that it is a bootable version. Maybe that would work.

I guess I should try out Lion first though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« copy email off of an iPad | Change username in Word 2011?? »