New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

A quick question about RAM

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MGu3l

MGu3l is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 13" [Mid 2010]

Hi everybody... I was looking at my activity monitor and was sondering if someone could explain to me what does it mean the different colors assign to the RAM memory? I mean Free is obvious, but what about "Wired", Active and Inactive?

Also what is "Virtual Memory Size"? is it the free space of the HD that OS can use as a "RAM"?

and my pagefile says 4,53Gb... isn't that too much? AFAIK in Windows it used to be like 3Gb only.

Thanks in advance!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Let me google that for you
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

that was neat chas.. how dod you do that?

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttaylor394 View Post
that was neat chas.. how dod you do that?
Let me google that for you..enter your search criteria and you'll get a new link that is the animation that Chas put through..it's a little tongue-in-cheek way of saying search before asking a question cuz it's almost guaranteed that you aren't the first person asking it..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
MGu3l

Jajajja, well... thanks for the ironic answer chas_m, but it seems you forgot to google me about VM size an Page ins/outs
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Also what is "Virtual Memory Size"? is it the free space of the HD that OS can use as a "RAM"?

and my pagefile says 4,53Gb... isn't that too much? AFAIK in Windows it used to be like 3Gb only.
The virtual memory size is what the system has allocated from the free space on your hard drive. And yes, that page file is rather large. You probably should add real memory to your machine. Your MacBook can take up to 8 GB of memory even though Apple says it's only 4 GB.
QUOTE Thanks
MGu3l

Yeah chscag, adding more RAM and a SDD are on the To-Do list!!

Thanks for answering
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Compatibility issues with Lion | Remove Lion »