New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Coming from PC: MacMini 2.5Ghz, or iMac 21.5" 2.7Ghz?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Feudal1

Feudal1 is on a distinguished road

I'm looking to purchase a new Mac for iOS development work, along with photo editing (lightroom/photoshop & aperture) and some light video editing. The two 2011 Macs I'm considering are:

- 2.5Ghz MacMini with 4GB ram (will probably up that to 8GB)
- 2.7Ghz iMac 21" with 4GB ram (again, will probably up this to 8GB)

The MacMini is cheaper (which is nice), but also has a slower 5400RPM hard drive when compared to the 7200RPM drive in the MacMini. That, and the 21.5" monitor that is part of the iMac are probably the biggest differences that matter to me (though I know the video chip used in the iMac is also more powerful).

This would be my first Mac. I already have a powerful PC that I built earlier in the year (i7 processor, 8GB ram, etc). Don't want to run Hackintosh either.

So, which way would you go here? Is the MacMini powerful enough to do video and photo editing? I know it's fine for development, as there are plenty of people using the older MacMini with no issues. My main question is with the photo editing. Is the 21.5" monitor a nice enough perk of the iMac to make it worth spending an extra $400 there? (BTW, I don't want the 27" monitor, because of eye strain of the small fonts there).

Any thoughts, or good resources to point towards? Thanks much in advance. I'm looking forward to joining the Mac community. Love my iPhone and iPad - no other competing products come close to the polish and functionality of these.

Thanks, Chris
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I think the latest Mini would do what you need just fine, but I really like the display on the iMacs. It's also nice to have the whole machine and display together.

If it were me doing this and had the extra $$$, I would go with the iMac.

BTW, I own both a 20" iMac and older Mini. The Mini has been first rate and never an issue, but I just love the iMac and that display!
QUOTE Thanks
Feudal1

Feudal1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I think the latest Mini would do what you need just fine, but I really like the display on the iMacs. It's also nice to have the whole machine and display together.

If it were me doing this and had the extra $$$, I would go with the iMac.

BTW, I own both a 20" iMac and older Mini. The Mini has been first rate and never an issue, but I just love the iMac and that display!
Thanks.

BTW - I saw there is a "Switcher Hangout" sub forum. That seems like it's more appropriate for my post. Can you move this thread to there (if that is the right place for this)? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

With the better graphics, included wireless mouse & keyboard, and 21.5" display...the iMacs are almost always a better value.

Plus you may not have considered looking at the refurbished computers at the online Apple Store (just as good as new, same warranty). You can get this 21.5" iMac for $929:

Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3 processor - Apple Store (U.S.)

For $1019...you can get this 21.5" iMac...with a better video card & 2.5ghz quad-core "i5" cpu:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC...co=MjMwMTc4OTE

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Good idea since you are going to be a switcher. Done!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Couple of questions - Newbie | My mac can't open .rar files anymore! »