New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Boosting Intel mac from PPC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newby

newby is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2

Hi I have a Mac Pro Tower Power PC mac. It is in excellent condition and runs the most advance OS it can (Leopard).

Sadly this machine is now pretty useless as

Is there a way to plug this into my mac mini and use it as an extra processor/ram source?

My mind might be playing Sci-Fi on me here but knowing how cool and advance mac is I thought I'd ask as it seems like the thing they would offer.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby View Post
Hi I have a Mac Pro Tower Power PC mac. It is in excellent condition and runs the most advance OS it can (Leopard).

Sadly this machine is now pretty useless as

Is there a way to plug this into my mac mini and use it as an extra processor/ram source?
Nope.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Hi I have a Mac Pro Tower Power PC mac.
I have no idea whatsoever what this might be.

I'm guessing he means a Power Mac of some vintage.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Logic Studio can use other machines as a CPU resource through the "Logic nodes" but unfortunately this is one app.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Hi I have a Mac Pro Tower Power PC mac.
Pretty confused here as well. Along the lines of what "chas m" mentioned...my guess is a Powermac G5 of some sort.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
newby

Mac Specs: MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2

Yeah sorry was typing a bit to fast and didn't review!

Yeah is a power mac (aluminum tower case etc) the last one before they changed to intel :-(

MacBookPro - 2.2 15" - Mac Mini - 2.5 2009 -MacPro Tower 2 x 3 Quad Core (Work) - iPhone 4 - iPad2, 2x Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
newby

Could I connect to it and use it as a harddrive resource? Kinda like a server but a nice place to store my harddrives?

I like the look of the computer too much to throw away but don't want a perfectly good computer sitting redundant! So desperate to try and find a use for it!

I do a lot of media work so thought it might be good to store old files on to it....

MacBookPro - 2.2 15" - Mac Mini - 2.5 2009 -MacPro Tower 2 x 3 Quad Core (Work) - iPhone 4 - iPad2, 2x Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Could I connect to it and use it as a harddrive resource? Kinda like a server but a nice place to store my harddrives?
Yes. You could even turn it into a RAID tower if you wanted.

Quote:
I do a lot of media work so thought it might be good to store old files on to it....
It would make an excellent file or font server.
QUOTE Thanks
newby

AH HA! Here we got Thank you Chas_m! This is what I like to hear...options! :-)

What would I need to do to do this... can you point me anywhere or post a link... or if it's easy inform me on here?

Many thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

I'm not an expert in this area, but as far as I know you wouldn't require anything special -- almost all the tools are built right into the OS.

You can configure a RAID via Disk Utility, and file or printer sharing is turned on in System Preferences. That unit has gigabit Ethernet on board so you just plug it into a router or switch and there ya go. For extra fun, you can turn on some services (like FTP) via the command line, or scout out a used copy of Leopard Server for a more graphical way to handle that and other server tasks.
QUOTE Thanks
newby

Thanks! That sounds really helpful and cool! Going to look into over the weekend!

:-)

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Moving mp3s and photos from external hd to new mac | copy email off of an iPad »