Specs:
    MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2
    Boosting Intel mac from PPC
    Hi I have a Mac Pro Tower Power PC mac. It is in excellent condition and runs the most advance OS it can (Leopard).

Sadly this machine is now pretty useless as

Is there a way to plug this into my mac mini and use it as an extra processor/ram source?

My mind might be playing Sci-Fi on me here but knowing how cool and advance mac is I thought I'd ask as it seems like the thing they would offer.

Quote Originally Posted by newby View Post
    Hi I have a Mac Pro Tower Power PC mac. It is in excellent condition and runs the most advance OS it can (Leopard).

Sadly this machine is now pretty useless as

Is there a way to plug this into my mac mini and use it as an extra processor/ram source?
    Nope.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Hi I have a Mac Pro Tower Power PC mac.
    I have no idea whatsoever what this might be.

I'm guessing he means a Power Mac of some vintage.

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    Logic Studio can use other machines as a CPU resource through the "Logic nodes" but unfortunately this is one app.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Hi I have a Mac Pro Tower Power PC mac.
    Pretty confused here as well. Along the lines of what "chas m" mentioned...my guess is a Powermac G5 of some sort.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2
    Yeah sorry was typing a bit to fast and didn't review!

Yeah is a power mac (aluminum tower case etc) the last one before they changed to intel :-(
    MacBookPro - 2.2 15" - Mac Mini - 2.5 2009 -MacPro Tower 2 x 3 Quad Core (Work) - iPhone 4 - iPad2, 2x Apple TV

Specs:
    Could I connect to it and use it as a harddrive resource? Kinda like a server but a nice place to store my harddrives?

I like the look of the computer too much to throw away but don't want a perfectly good computer sitting redundant! So desperate to try and find a use for it!

I do a lot of media work so thought it might be good to store old files on to it....
    MacBookPro - 2.2 15" - Mac Mini - 2.5 2009 -MacPro Tower 2 x 3 Quad Core (Work) - iPhone 4 - iPad2, 2x Apple TV

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Could I connect to it and use it as a harddrive resource? Kinda like a server but a nice place to store my harddrives?
    Yes. You could even turn it into a RAID tower if you wanted.

I do a lot of media work so thought it might be good to store old files on to it....
    It would make an excellent file or font server.

Specs:
    AH HA! Here we got Thank you Chas_m! This is what I like to hear...options! :-)

What would I need to do to do this... can you point me anywhere or post a link... or if it's easy inform me on here?

Many thanks!

Specs:
    I'm not an expert in this area, but as far as I know you wouldn't require anything special -- almost all the tools are built right into the OS.

You can configure a RAID via Disk Utility, and file or printer sharing is turned on in System Preferences. That unit has gigabit Ethernet on board so you just plug it into a router or switch and there ya go. For extra fun, you can turn on some services (like FTP) via the command line, or scout out a used copy of Leopard Server for a more graphical way to handle that and other server tasks.

Specs:
    Thanks! That sounds really helpful and cool! Going to look into over the weekend!

:-)

Thread Information