Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    Member Since
    Aug 09, 2011
    What to get for going back to college?
    I will be going back to college to become a RN and currently have a BA in History. At home I have a 24in iMac with Leopard OS. I'm in the market for something to take notes on in class and have come to the choice of an iPad with wireless keyboard, 13in Macbook Air with the I5, or a Macbook Pro 13in with either the standard hard drive or upgrade to a SSD or just upgrade the memory to 8gb. Which one should I get since I already have a desktop at home but no longer have a laptop?

  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    What's your budget?

    I can tell you to get a Ferrari...but if you only need a Hyundai...why get the Ferrari?

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3

    IvanLasston's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 26, 2010
    Rocky Mountain High, Colorado
    1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
    Also, how do you like taking notes? Do you like typing them in(Laptop) or would you rather hand write them(iPad)? Both can record audio/video.

  4. #4

    Ttaylor394's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 15, 2011
    West Virginia
    13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
    My wife is a nurse, her professors were old school.The mostly Printed out documents that she generally did not have the ability to have in digital form. I can think of a couple forms that were odd shapes (extra long) that made her days difficult. The most infuriating of all were careplans i highly doubt those would be allowed to be typed at any institution. There is A LOT of notes as well.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they told their students no computers as well. Check and see if it's even permissible to have one in lecture.

    Like they said above, budget is almost always factor. The new airs seem sharp, you would much rather want that on your back/ arm than the MBP. Or an iPad. Regarding the iPad, the apps on our iPhones (same as an iPad) helped in college more than extra ram in an already expensive piece of hardware ever could have.

    To expound on the ram mentioned above, 98% of my wife and I's college computing involved Word, PowerPoint, Office, and online databases. The other 2% were lesser programs not worth mentioning. You probably won't be using AutoCad for this degree. I would invest the ram $ in MS office suite or IWork depending on what your institution uses.

    Looking back, if I could choose one (I studied Nuclear Medicine (subset of radiology)) I would have preferred an iPad over anything you described above. Reason being; Small, light, can type if needed (iWork for iPad) BT keyboard, note taking (built in mic...idk if it is uni or omni directional), note taking apps, helpful apps, and cheapest of possible options.

    Good luck, it isn't a carrear it's a lifestyle. One that is not for the faint of heart.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 11:34 AM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-05-2012, 03:51 AM
  3. Time machine will no longer back up and old back ups vanished
    By tigo in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2012, 09:08 AM
  4. How to prevent anti-virus during time capsule back up AND how to set up TC back ups
    By Mac_Badger in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 07:54 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts