New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MAC Air Migration Assistant not transferring files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Knotter

Knotter is on a distinguished road

I have a new Macbook Air on the same wireless network as HP Notebook.

One question Mac asks upon initial startup is if I'd like to transfer files from another computer to the Mac. I answered yes and in turn loaded / installed Migration Assistant software on the HP notebook.

When the process kicks off everything "seems" to go okay but, in the end no files actually transfer.

The two machines successfully connect, a verifying code number displays/matches on both machines, file directories on the HP display on the mac with check boxes to either select or eliminate from transfer. Starting the process a status bar dislpays, appears files are transferring but, again when process completes nothing has actually transferred or been copied to the Mac.

Any ideas why?

Thanks in advance,
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

See if you can follow along with the instructions given in this blog. It's the latest and is for Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
Knotter

Thanks. Maybe the files are transferred and I just don't know where to look. Instructions say "After the Transfer is Finish The PC User will show up on your "User & Group". I haven't looked for any files in user & group.

I also read in another article saying I need to disable the screen saver on both machines. That's another thing I hadn't done.

Okay, thanks, now I have a couple things to try this evening.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Let me address these in reverse order:

1. As you probably know, the article was referring to "disable screen saver" meaning only while the transfer is going on. After that, do what you want. I personally haven't seen the point of a screensaver for the last decade.

2. Well, I'll be. Lion DID rename "Accounts" to "User & Groups"!! Surprise, surprise! Anyway, you can access this via System Preferences under the Apple Menu (top left of your screen).
QUOTE Thanks
Knotter

@ chas_m, Great essay; thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Auto Response Nightmare | Compatibility issues with Lion »