New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

SmartNav4 - Assistive device

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jcat

jcat is on a distinguished road

Hello all, I have a question about using a Windows based product on my New iMac. I'm getting a SmartNav4. I'ts a headmouse made by an ACC company named Natural Point. I have ALS and will need this to operate a computer. The SmartNav is Windows based, but they have subbed out a company to write the software for Mac. It will cost me $300 for the software. Will I be able to use bootcamp to use Windows natively? Or parallel 6 as an alternative?
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

MontyMo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2GHz 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
Hello all, I have a question about using a Windows based product on my New iMac. I'm getting a SmartNav4. I'ts a headmouse made by an ACC company named Natural Point. I have ALS and will need this to operate a computer. The SmartNav is Windows based, but they have subed subbed out a company to write the software for Mac. It will cost me $300 for the software. Will I be able to use bootcamp to use Windows natively? Or parallel 6 as an alternative?
I defiantly prefer Parallels. I can stay in the Mac environment. I run Parallels full screen and four finger gesture moves me from Windows to Mac to WIndows.

I recommend a lot of RAM. I have 8 GB
Monty

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
Hello all, I have a question about using a Windows based product on my New iMac. I'm getting a SmartNav4. I'ts a headmouse made by an ACC company named Natural Point. I have ALS and will need this to operate a computer. The SmartNav is Windows based, but they have subbed out a company to write the software for Mac. It will cost me $300 for the software. Will I be able to use bootcamp to use Windows natively? Or parallel 6 as an alternative?
If you have not gotten your system yet and that is your only reason to use Windows check out the Mac version of SmartNav4. They have a Mac version. The Mac version is being sold and supported by the folks at RJCooper. Assistive Technology - NaturalPoint head tracking for people with special needs Phone (800) 752-6673

I am not sure whether there are any significant differences between the Mac and PC versions but the RJ Cooper folks sell both versions. I've had an opportunity to talk with some of their representatives at professional seminars and have been impressed with their willingness to be frank about any differences among the Mac and PC versions of various products.

Note: I am not affiliated with either company.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
jcat

Thanks for replies, My main concern is ongoing support. I cannot find info from actual users on the mac side, and very good reviews on the pc version which has the software already included with the hardware. Also an additional 300 dollars is quite a lot for me at this time. I do appreciate your feedback. It is amazing the amount of quality and usable info these forums contain.
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

What type of support are you looking for? Apple offers great support online and via phone.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

In the interactions I have had with the RJ Cooper gang I have been impressed with how far they will go to make sure someone gets the right product.

I had not checked the actual prices of the Mac and PC versions in some time. I thought they were closer in price point. I can see where that difference would be an issue.

I used to have several assistive technology sites bookmarked. If I find anything relevant I will let you know.

QUOTE Thanks
jcat

Maybe I have a misunderstanding about the vender writing the software and OS relationship. Please forgive me if I am asking questions the wrong way, but I would like to know about ongoing updates, patches for bugs, etc....
I am a 1 week old apple convert, I cannot talk anymore, and using 1 finger to type with a mouse and onscreen keyboard, I need to get this right the first go around and just haven't any actual users to respond. I have inquired on hardwares forums with no response yet. I emailed software vender , but it hasn't been 24 hours yet. Will try again tomorrow. Thanks again, and goodnight all !
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

I would suggest sending an e-mail with your concerns to the folks at RJ Cooper. They seem to be handling these types of questions for the Mac version of that program.

I have seen a product which might provide similar functionality and is listed in the Mac App Store. I will post back ASAP with more info on that.

Also, look for a message from me.

QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

I think jccat is looking for ongoing support for the SmartNav4. Have you tried some ALS support sights? Maybe you can hook up with other users via those sights. I'm assuming you checked with the folks at SmartNav4?

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Note: Posts moved to it's own thread.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

I found a bunch of apps at AssistiveWare.com. All the apps have a free trial, so you can see if they will meet your needs before deciding whether or not to purchase. I know there are grants available in most states to assist with the costs associated with assistive technologies. It won't cover everything, most likely, but might cover some of it.

On a personal note, my thoughts are with you. My grandfather had ALS, and my parents have managed their local ALS support group in NC since. I contacted them to see if they had any recommendations, but their experience has been with durable medical equipment and lift chairs. They had very little experience with assistive technologies.

I'm digging for more information and if I get anything more concrete, I'll forward it along.
QUOTE Thanks
jcat

Thank you for all your responses. I am posting for jcat. It seems no one that needs the SmartNav has tried using it with the Windows based system on the Mac. We have searched and queried ALS forums and other "disability" forums. They all refer back to RJ Cooper.

EvenStranger, I'm very sorry about your grandfather. How wonderful, that your parents give there time to help people with ALS, today.

Thank you all again for trying to help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphoto | How to download from iTunes to a externel HDD »