New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

desk top icons for links anything else

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macgiver

macgiver is on a distinguished road

The switch is a disorienting. How does one assign an icon to a desktop "shortcut" Is there is no such thing in the Mac world?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

In Mac OS X "shortcuts" are known as aliases. If you want to place a shortcut for an application on your desktop do this:

Open your applications folder, choose an application, right click on it, select "make alias". Drag the alias to your desktop. It will appear with the same icon but with an arrow to indicate it's an alias. (or shortcut)

You might find this small handy utility is what you need to change the shortcut icon. LINK
QUOTE Thanks
macgiver

Awesome! Thank You!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

You can also modify the name of the alias without "breaking" its link to the original icon. (Yeah, I know that the terminology there isn't perfect.)
QUOTE Thanks
macgiver

Thanks one mo' agin!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Of course this is what the Dock is for. I'm not saying you CAN'T plaster icons all over the desktop if you want to, just that you don't HAVE to do that.

For example, if you put the Applications folder into the right side of the Dock (which automatically creates an alias, the actual folder doesn't go anywhere) and right-click to change the icon back to a folder (it wants to do a "Stack" by default), voila, you now have one-click access to EVERY application you own!.

The left side of the Dock is completely customizable too (except for the Finder icon, that doesn't move and always stays on). Top your top dozen or so must-used apps there, remove the ones Apple put there if you like, make it your own.
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

Plus dosen't loading up your desktop with icons, shortcuts and other stuff actually slow your Mac down? I keep my desktop completely clean because of some of the things I have read on the Forum.

RU all telling me I can litter the landscape with all kind of things?

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

I have about a dozen aliases on my Desktop. It has never caused a probl
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

ALIASES are fine and dandy. Litter the desktop with them if you want to.

ACTUAL files and folders on the desktop do in fact slow down the machine. Everything on the desktop (including files *inside* folders) is constantly refreshed, as opposed to say a folder filed in the Home folder. The only time its contents get refreshed is when it's opened.
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

MontyMo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2GHz 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Disk

Is it possible to make an alias placed on my dock to start the "Startup Disk" in the System Preferences?
Thanks

?

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

No, I think whenever you start System Preferences, it's going to default to the "Control Panel" window, showing all the choices.
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

MontyMo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2GHz 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Disk

Thanks toMACsh, thats what I thought

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
ALIASES are fine and dandy. Litter the desktop with them if you want to.

ACTUAL files and folders on the desktop do in fact slow down the machine. Everything on the desktop (including files *inside* folders) is constantly refreshed, as opposed to say a folder filed in the Home folder. The only time its contents get refreshed is when it's opened.
I understand now. Thanks

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyMo View Post
Is it possible to make an alias placed on my dock to start the "Startup Disk" in the System Preferences?
On second thought, I suppose you could use Automator to set that up. I'm not familiar with the procedure however.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fan noise | I was bullied into it 5 months later »