New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Just made the switch BABY!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Waveblaster

Waveblaster is on a distinguished road

Well, after having an iPhone for a while and seeing how fast Macs are even after years of running i decided to make the move.

Got the basic model 13" MacBook Pro and love it!

Are there any important things that i can do to make my macbook run better?

Never going back!

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13"
iPhone 3G (soon to have iPhone 5 when it comes out)

Mac4Life
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Are there any important things that i can do to make my macbook run better?
You can do some searching (use forum search) to find out how to make your MacBook run better. However, for now get rid of that Avatar. These forums are viewed by folks of all ages. Read our guidelines.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

If your MacBook Pro is brand new, the only thing I'd suggest to make it "run better" is to learn it.

(Well, more RAM is good too)
QUOTE Thanks
Waveblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
...However, for now get rid of that Avatar. These forums are viewed by folks of all ages...
Wow lol, strick forum. Its a cartoon man.

MacBook Pro 13"

Mac4Life
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

MontyMo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 1TB SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveblaster View Post
Well, after having an iPhone for a while and seeing how fast Macs are even after years of running i decided to make the move.

Thanks
Funny, my experience is just about the opposite. I was a Windows/Andriod user for a long time. I decided to try a Mac. After a few months with a MBP I am sold. I cannot wait for the iPhone 5. If it works 1/2 as good as my MBP I'll be happy!

Monty

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Wow lol, strick forum. Its a cartoon man.
Doesn't matter where it came from. If it's not rated "G" it shouldn't be used. Anyway, you now have a new avatar. Be sure to read our guidelines. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

We're also pretty "strict" on spelling.

(sorry, couldn't resist)
QUOTE Thanks
Waveblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
We're also pretty "strict" on spelling.

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Do you own an iPhone? If so, I'm sure you've misspelled/been auto-"corrected" before.

MacBook Pro 13"

Mac4Life
QUOTE Thanks
Waveblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Be sure to read our guidelines. Thanks.
Be sure to read the fine print above barney's head.

MacBook Pro 13"

Mac4Life
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Quote:
Do you own an iPhone? If so, I'm sure you've misspelled/been auto-"corrected" before.
Yes, but I don't press send until I'm sure it's what I meant to say. But yes, I've seen some hilarious or weird "suggestions."

We're not really that strict about spelling, welcome aboard.
QUOTE Thanks
Waveblaster

Thanks.

I'm a bit of a loose cannon when it comes to sending auto corrected messages. As soon as i'm done typing i just hit the send button. Its going to get me in trouble some day. Happens when i text all the time... The worst part about it is that it seems to learn the way i misspell certain words, and then auto misspells words. I'm getting a new iPhone soon, so hopefully they have tweaked the auto correct a little.

Not going to lye, I'm not the greatest speller. More of a math and physics guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Yes, but I don't press send until I'm sure it's what I meant to say. But yes, I've seen some hilarious or weird "suggestions."

We're not really that strict about spelling, welcome aboard.

MacBook Pro 13"

Mac4Life
QUOTE Thanks
Waveblaster

Original reason i asked about any thing you can do to "tune" the macbook is because when i was in at futureshop, the man who was clearly on commission was talking about a setup plan for x dollars. When i refused the setup thing he put on the big "ok your on your own" thing and said there are some key things that you need to do to get your mac running right that of course their set up plan does. I kind of knew it was bull, but wanted to check here (where people aren't on commission ) to make sure.

MacBook Pro 13"

Mac4Life
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

I agree with chas_m. I wouldn't do a thing except learn your Mac and maybe add some ram. I've seen where people get all excited about their new system and in the drive to have a lot of bells and whistles they add something that does more harm than good.

Especially so called tune up or clean out programs. Have fun with your new computer. It's a learning experience for sure but one that is fun and ultimately rewarding. Especially as it pertains to the lack of issues with the Mac operating system. I want to say that "most" issues are self induced rather than OS induced. I don't think I am speaking out of turn here but that is the general gist of things that I have gathered from the time I have been on the forum.

Regards,

Pat

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
gkdidaxi

gkdidaxi will become famous soon enough

Hi.

Talking about misspelling (moreover since yours truly, I have already delivered at least two really hilarious false wordings in this community; fortunately enough I spotted them and saved the day; should have known better; what saves me is that English is not my native language), I fully agree that it really promotes the e-etiquette of communication and makes us all better and ever learning individuals.

When it comes to the issue of "lean & clean cut" vs "boosted & tuned up", I am a great fan of the lean concept, for any commodity.
Let us reflect a simple fact: any serious OEM knows better.
I 'm not implying that any OEM is always faultless or may come short when he delivers a product, but all in all the OEM has the absolute judgement which in effect will satisfy the majority.

Br / George

...one apple a day keeps the doctor away...
...one garlic a day keeps everybody away...
...an APPLE all days keeps nuisance away...
QUOTE Thanks
Waveblaster

Thanks guys

MacBook Pro 13"

Mac4Life
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Change username in Word 2011?? | How do I force quit? »