New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Couple of questions - Newbie

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tomelk31

tomelk31 is on a distinguished road

Just switched from PC to Mac and have a couple of questions.

1. I know you don't need anti-virus but is it worth getting? An which is best for Mac?

2. I downloaded coconut battery app. In windows you can delete the file you downloaded once the program is installed on your hard drive. How does this work on the mac?

3. Any good apps that anyone had downloaded?

Thank you in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I moved your post here. (The Switcher Forum)

First, please read our Sticky notice at the head of this forum: "Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ"

Some applications will remove themselves after installing, others which provide an image file "DMG" should be ejected after the application is installed. Just drag the dmg file to the Trash.

Please use our Search function regarding good apps to install. This question has been asked and answered a myriad of times.
QUOTE Thanks
tomelk31

Thanks. I forgot that my Uni tell us to use Sophos and when searching the forums a number of users have that so have chosen to install that.

Another thing that has popped up is:

When i look to see the space on my HDD, I click on iDisk on Finder and the following pops up

Enter your name and password to connect to "idisk.mac.com".
If i click guest I can then see the drive.
What is this all about?

Thank you again!
QUOTE Thanks
StMFA

StMFA will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2

idisk is an old mobile me service that will be going away. Pay no attention to it.
QUOTE Thanks
tomelk31

Is there another way of viewing the Hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

View the HD how? If you open up a Finder window, you'll be able to access the filesystem.

If you need to access the root directory (this is the equivalent to "C:" in Windows), open up Finder > Preferences > Show these items on the desktop > check "Hard Disks." You can also add it to the sidebar by looking under the "Sidebar" tab and checking your computer under "Devices." You shouldn't need to access anything outside of your home folder though, especially if you're new to OS X.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
tomelk31

Cheers.

I started a scan on Sophos just to see how long it takes and it had scanned about 237,000 files out of 280,000 and then stopped. Any ideas why it didn't scan the last 30,000 files?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Any particular reason that you're scanning your machine?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
tomelk31

Just to see roughly how long it took!
QUOTE Thanks
tomelk31

Looking for a maintenance app for my Mac. I used CC Cleaner for PC. I have searched the forums and people recommend OnyX but there is only beta version for Lion. Anyone tried it?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

OnyX's beta versions are very reliable, no worries there.
QUOTE Thanks
tomelk31

Thank you I will check it out!
QUOTE Thanks
tomelk31

I am trying to setup a backup of my HDD on a External HDD using time capsule. The hard drive is portioned and was done a windows PC.

It is portioned as follows:

Windows NTFS
MAC FAT32 32GB
Music FAT32 34GB
Backup FAT32 34GB

It comes up when i plug the drive in and i select backup to back it up on. It says it will erase the hard drive and the backup. I then get a message saying it can't backup the on that partion map. Any ideas why?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

To use Time Machine, the hard drive/partition must be formatted as HFS+ (Apple's filesystem for Mac OS X). So, use Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities) to format the drive/partition that you want to use as HFS+. As always, remember that formatting deletes all data on the drive/partition being formatted so backup before hand if you need to do so.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
tomelk31

Thank you to everyone for your help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using Windows project files on a Mac | Coming from PC: MacMini 2.5Ghz, or iMac 21.5" 2.7Ghz? »