New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New MacBook Pro !

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Michael S

Michael S is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Pro 13" Precision Aluminium Unibody 2.3GHz i5 320gb;5400rpm

Hi, I have just got the latest edition 2011 MacBook Pro 13" inch 2.7ghz i5, precision aluminium uni-body today and I would like a little help from the experts please. However, unfortunately it came with Snow Leopard ! Firstly, will someone briefly explain to me the main new features of Lion and is it really worth it? Also, if I download it will I lose any of my files or downloaded items ? And sorry if I'm asking too much but can I have some cool tips and tricks for Snow Leopard and Lion (incase I do decide to get it). Thank you in advance for your help and sorry if this is in the wrong forum discussion.

P.S What is the slot next to the disc drive and what is the slot right of where the handle thing is to open your MacBook Pro ?
QUOTE Thanks
TonyBen

TonyBen is on a distinguished road

I'll be watching this thread as I am in the exact same boat as you. I got the smallest MB Pro but it's awesome!
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
Hi, I have just got the latest edition 2011 MacBook Pro 13" inch 2.7ghz i5, precision aluminium uni-body today and I would like a little help from the experts please. However, unfortunately it came with Snow Leopard ! Firstly, will someone briefly explain to me the main new features of Lion and is it really worth it? Also, if I download it will I lose any of my files or downloaded items ? And sorry if I'm asking too much but can I have some cool tips and tricks for Snow Leopard and Lion (incase I do decide to get it). Thank you in advance for your help and sorry if this is in the wrong forum discussion.

P.S What is the slot next to the disc drive and what is the slot right of where the handle thing is to open your MacBook Pro ?
There's too many features to list. You should not lose anything if you do the upgrade. Especially with a new installation. You can go here to read all about Lion and it's new features.

Apple - OS X Lion - The world

This site will explain all. I think the $30.00 is a great investment. Where else will you get the most advanced OS in the world for $30.00? Windows does not have it.

I am fairly new myself to Mac so I am not the guy to give you the tips and tricks. But If I were to give one bit of advice it would be to not just start downloading new software into your Mac willy nilly. It can sometimes do more harm than good. As well I would read the sticky about the need for anti-virus software. And the so called Mac cleaning programs really are not needed if you stay out of the hidden files and as previously stated be careful of the software that you do download.

Regards,

Pat

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

The small slot next to the optical drive is the port for a security cable, like the Kensington Security Cable. I'm not sure which one you mean about being to the right of the opening... unless you mean the sleep LED. Not a slot, just a light that gives a visible "heartbeat" pulse when the system is asleep.
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenStranger View Post
The small slot next to the optical drive is the port for a security cable, like the Kensington Security Cable. I'm not sure which one you mean about being to the right of the opening... unless you mean the sleep LED. Not a slot, just a light that gives a visible "heartbeat" pulse when the system is asleep.
EvenStranger, my MBP has the sleep slot that you are speaking about but it also has another slot to the right of the sleep light slot. It appears to me to be some type of light but I have never seen it light. I too wonder what this is for.
(Maybe I'll look in the documentation that came with the computer and it will say. If so I will post back.

Pat

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
StMFA

StMFA will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2

You should be able to upgrade to Lion for free if you purchased it in the last 30 days.
Go to the following url and fill out the info. You should receive a code for a free copy of Lion.
Apple - OS X Lion and Lion Server - Up to Date Program
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Are you able to point out the slot from any of the pics on Apple's website? You've got me scratching my head on this one.
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

Here you go. You can see it on the front of this picture, the Macbook with the lid open. It's on the far right of the 1/2 inch or so flat front facing portion. Just to the right where the sleep light would be.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Pat

QUOTE Thanks
StMFA

That is the IR sensor I believe. It's so you ca use an Apple remote to control things like volume, fast forward etc.
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

StMFA I think you have it! It does have some type of glass or covering over it. That makes perfect sense and that's what I am going with.

Thanks

QUOTE Thanks
StMFA

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/..._early2011.pdf

Page 20- IR Receiver next to sleep light.
QUOTE Thanks
Michael S

Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Pro 13" Precision Aluminium Unibody 2.3GHz i5 320gb;5400rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyben View Post
i'll be watching this thread as i am in the exact same boat as you. I got the smallest mb pro but it's awesome!
**** right !
:p
QUOTE Thanks
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenStranger View Post
Thanks for the Kensington lock slot info. but I'm talking about the thing on the right of it.
QUOTE Thanks
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMFA View Post
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/..._early2011.pdf

Page 20- IR Receiver next to sleep light.
Is that for remotes and similar ?
QUOTE Thanks
Michael S

Thank you everyone I have got enough info now on the slots but could I have some Mac Tips and Tricks please ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trouble Using My New Aaxa M1 LED Projector with My MacBook Pro | Homepage issues in tiger »