New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

can't open encrypted files in safari/i have the password..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

I know this doesn't belong here, but this gets the most looks, I don't know where to put it, and its a semi-urgent situation
I have an assignment that has patients names on a powerpoint my instructor loaded to a website. Its a PPT file, I have keynote to open it. But its encrypted due to the sensitive nature. I KNOW THE PASSWORD. Safari and firefox do not prompt me to enter the password tho. When i look the ppt up in finder after it is dl'ed, I'm told that it won't open the encrypted file, save it unencrypted first to do so.

Is there a hidden window you think? Or field in any of the menus that I am unaware of?

I told the instructor, I greatly doubt she will get back to me with any constructive input, I will be on campus to get it done at lunch today, but there will be more of these to come.
THanks in advance, and sorry moderators for the poor forum placement.

Thanks in advance.

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

That is a Microsoft Powerpoint file, not a website or html file. You need Microsoft Powerpoint or the Microsoft Powerpoint Viewer.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttaylor394 View Post
I know this doesn't belong here, but this gets the most looks, I don't know where to put it, and its a semi-urgent situation
I have an assignment that has patients names on a powerpoint my instructor loaded to a website. Its a PPT file, I have keynote to open it. But its encrypted due to the sensitive nature. I KNOW THE PASSWORD. Safari and firefox do not prompt me to enter the password tho. When i look the ppt up in finder after it is dl'ed, I'm told that it won't open the encrypted file, save it unencrypted first to do so.

Is there a hidden window you think? Or field in any of the menus that I am unaware of?

I told the instructor, I greatly doubt she will get back to me with any constructive input, I will be on campus to get it done at lunch today, but there will be more of these to come.
THanks in advance, and sorry moderators for the poor forum placement.

Thanks in advance.
Best option I can think of is to try opening it in Powerpoint if you have access, otherwise you might try OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

I take it from your post that you don't own/control the file. IMO it is better to use encrypted disk images than encrypting individual files, but that doesn't help your situation.

Hope eveything works out okay.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

@ Deckyon is open office able to view .ppt files? if so i have that, if not i didn't find a functioning stand alone ppt viewer for OS X
No luck other than that, thanks gentleman.

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
@ Deckyon is open office able to view .ppt files? if so i have that, if not i didn't find a functioning stand alone ppt viewer for OS X
No luck other than that, thanks gentleman.
????
I have and use OpenOffice and it will both open and edit Powerpoint files (which is why I recommended it).

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

My guess is that Keynote can't handle PowerPoint's password protection (I don't actually know this but it might be something to consider). I would suggest that you get a hold of a computer with PowerPoint and resave it without encryption or if it must be encrypted (which it sounds like it has to be), encrypt it with something a little more Mac or Keynote friendly. Worst case - you can download the 30 day trial of Office 2011 here and use PowerPoint to open it.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Van has it right. Programs that are supposed to be compatible to open Powerpoint files can not handle the encryption. Same goes for Word or any MS Office file that is password protected. There's not much you can do since the information is obviously sensitive because of privacy. If you're a student you can purchase MS Office 2011 at a discount. Check with your school's bookstore. This is one reason why I recommend students avoid Office compatible programs in lieu of the real MS Office.
QUOTE Thanks
Ttaylor394

sry to leave you hanging razor, i understand what you were getting at now. and i appreciate the speedy response.
Classmates that have Macs have the same issue. Until i decide to buy MS Office with PowerPoint i will not know if it works. I am guessing it won't. Based on the fact that Internet Explorer on the PCs at the institution prompt you for a password upon dl'ing the file.
I pay tuition for a reason i guess, and that includes access to their equipment, not their IT skills.
THanks all for the help.

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

The windows machines very likely have a the MS powerpoint viewer installed. MS isn't going to share their encryption hashes. Generally, for this reason, if I'm sending something encrypted, I use a pdf.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
sry to leave you hanging razor, i understand what you were getting at now. and i appreciate the speedy response.
Classmates that have Macs have the same issue. Until i decide to buy MS Office with PowerPoint i will not know if it works. I am guessing it won't. Based on the fact that Internet Explorer on the PCs at the institution prompt you for a password upon dl'ing the file.
I pay tuition for a reason i guess, and that includes access to their equipment, not their IT skills.
THanks all for the help.
No problem.

Hope you get it sorted out.
FWIW the only issues I have run into with OpenOffice and PowerPoint is that some of the formating doesn't always translate correctly. On the otherhand I have never tried opening a password protected file in it.

On buying PowerPoint, I believe you can do a free trial first to see if it works (as I think someone else previously mentioned). Not personally a fan of MS Office (I use it at work because I have to).

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with iCalendar! | Hello, new Mac user here... »