New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Where does my mouse disappear to??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dvdchance

dvdchance is on a distinguished road

Firstoff I want to say hello. I'm a new member to both this forum and Macs in general, so let me apologise in advance if some of my questions seem silly. Which I'm sure they will.

My first issue is that I keep loosing focus of my mouse. I will close a Safari window, for example, and the mouse is just gone. Sometimes if I move it around like crazy it will re-appear in the bottom dock, other times I have to command tab to bring focus back to Safari then it will be visible again.

I'm thinking that a big part of the problem is that I'm running a dual display setup, with Plex running full screen in an external display. When the mouse disappears I notice that the menu bar switches to Plex menus.

Is there a way to have the mouse stay just in 1 display? Or perhaps always have apps in the "primary" display always stay in the front? Any other suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

It certainly sounds like you've already identified both the issue and the cure. Can you explain a little about why you're running Plex in full screen on the secondary display?
QUOTE Thanks
dvdchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
It certainly sounds like you've already identified both the issue and the cure. Can you explain a little about why you're running Plex in full screen on the secondary display?
The secondary display is my HDTV. I run plex for watching TV and video mainly.
QUOTE Thanks
didymus

didymus will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

I have that problem too, and I only run one screen. The cursor is fine when typing in this box, for example, or in word processing, but if I move the mouse out of the box the cursor remains in wp mode and doesn't change to the arrow head again - this makes it difficult at times to spot exactly where it is. I assume that it has to do with the Mac mouse control software, which is not reacting to the change of context.
QUOTE Thanks
dvdchance

I'm trying out a program called SteerMouse which gives the mouse so additional options, such as a "snap to" function. I guess I got spoiled with this feature using Windows over the years.

It works somewhat OK but still the mouse will loose focus to the Plex running on my external display, even though I have it set to snap to the minimise button. Having it snap to the default button or the cancel button didn't seem to always work.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

My only suggestion would be to turn off the "TV" and focus on your work, turning on Plex only when you're not doing your work. That would solve the issue. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tips on resuming timed-out Safari downloads | Few switching questions »