New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Help stop videos from starting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deafcone

deafcone is on a distinguished road

I have an IMAC, snow leopard OS, and Safari browser. When i visit a message board some of the posters have videos in their messages and the videos run by themselves with no start or stop options on them. is there a place in safari or on my imac that i can change the settings to prevent the videos from starting automatically?

thanks in advance.

DC
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

There isn't anything in Safari that can prevent this for now. I checked to see if there were any new extensions that could control the playing of videos and there isn't any.

In the Safari preferences, general tab, try removing the check from the box on the bottom that says: "Open safe files........."

What you might also try is to open System Preferences, Other, and click on the QuickTime X icon to open it. In the tab that says "Autoplay Movies" click on the down arrow and change it to disable.

This assumes that you have a QuickTime X in System Preferences and that the site you visit plays the videos in QT. If it uses anything else, this won't work. You didn't supply us with any other info so this was a shot in the dark. Perhaps someone else may have a better idea for you.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

These are (most likely) NOT actual videos, they're probably animated GIFs. Have you tried right-clicking on them to see if there are options for playback?
QUOTE Thanks
deafcone

my mouse doesn't have a right click.

DC
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Go into System Preferences > Mouse > Select 'Secondary Click' I believe (I don't have a mouse, so I'm going off memory)

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
deafcone

did that and right click works but options on images were only for viewing or saving, no on off options

DC
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

What version of Safari are you using?
QUOTE Thanks
deafcone

10.6.4 OSX and 5.0.2 safari

DC
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafcone View Post
did that and right click works but options on images were only for viewing or saving, no on off options

DC
That means that they are animated gifs. The only solution I can think of is..adblock and adding the images to your block list.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

I second CrimsonRequiem's suggestion.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boston digital BA735 | New 27" iMac doc issues »