New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Safari froze

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CJY91285

CJY91285 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" i5. 4GB, 2.4Ghz, 320GB. Mid 2010

Hello! I am a new mac user.

I just got this 15 inch mid 2010 Macbook Pro for college coming up. I was on Safari browsing at least 3-4 tabs (Youtube, Mac-Forums, and Facebook then my safari froze.

I am currently running MAC OS X 10.7 on it. How can I prevent it from happening again? What can I possibly do?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Get 10.7.1 when it comes out. As with any new OS release, there are a few bugs. Many of the issues being reported are with Safari 5.1, also a new release. So far, I haven't seen any magic bullets.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Not having the same problem here -- Safari 5.1 has been a *dream* and Lion has been perfectly fine. Try changing your YouTube preference to HTML5 rather than Flash and see if the problem persists.
QUOTE Thanks
D Haught

D Haught is on a distinguished road

I've had the same problem twice now. Both times right after opening a new window to youtube. My iMac completely froze both times and I had to force a shutdown and restart the computer to fix it.

How do you change the youtube settings to HTML5?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 Ghz Quad Core i7,SSD,3TB Fusio Fusion,32GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 128GB SSD, 500GB HD, 8GB

Just had the Safari "freeze" happen to me. Went to watch a YouTube video and everything froze. Could still move the mouse, but it wouldn't do anything. No response to keyboard. Had to power off to regain control.
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

I was on You Tube for a couple of hours last night and looked at all sorts of videos. I did not experience your issue at all. I wonder if it might be caused from some "other" programs or extensions that may be present on your respective machines? I too am running Lion and Safari 5.1. Maybe try disabling any extensions 1 at a time and then retying You Tube may help pinpoint the problem.

Pat

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 Ghz Quad Core i7,SSD,3TB Fusio Fusion,32GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 128GB SSD, 500GB HD, 8GB

As far as i remember there weren't any programs other than Finder open. I have also been looking at a lot of YouTube videos since Lion came out, and this is the first time it happened to me. Once I got the computer restarted, I clicked on the same video and it ran without a hitch.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

PatM is referring to Safari extensions, not programs that run at startup.
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

I guess you will have to wait until it manifests itself again. Hard to fix something that isn't currently happening. Maybe a You Tube issue?

Hopefully it won't happen again.

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

From my understanding the 2 major issues with lion at the moment is the safari/youtube issues, this from what i read is down to apple disabling hardware acceleration in flash.
The other big issue which unfortunately is affecting my imac is sleep problems specifically with wireless, after sleep most of the time you have to disable the wireless, then turn back on to connect to the net.

There are loads of these cases being reported since lion, hopefully it wont be long before a patch is available.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Genius Appointment tomorrow *How can I password protect email?* | noob question »