New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Official Backup FAQ or Start Backing Up Now!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Why you should backup

Hard drives die. Computers are lost or stolen. Water damage. Accidental deletion a file or program. Power surge fries your electronics. Natural disasters. System restores and clean installs.

Those are just a few reasons why backups are important and should not be considered optional. If you own a computer, you should be backing up. Just think about all the important memories and files you have stored on your machine. If they suddenly disappeared how would you feel?

Spending a little money and an even smaller amount of time creating a backup regiment will save you headache and offer peace of mind and security.

There are three types of backups for that most Mac users consider. You can use any one of them and be better off than nothing, and you can also use all three for the best protection.

External Drive Solutions

The first two solutions require the use of an external hard drive. You can find a good selection and compare prices and reviews at Amazon.com.

Rule of thumb for size is that you want your drive or partition to be 2X the size of your drive for Time Machine and for a clone backup, the drive or partition can be of equal size to your hard drive. Use that to help determine the overall size of the drive once you decide on a backup approach.

New with Lion: We highly recommend using encrypted external drives for your backups to increase the security of your data in case the drive is ever lost or stolen. Read how to do this now. (Note, the drive must be formatted with a GUID Partition Table or GPT)

Time Machine

Beginning with Leopard (OS X 10.5) Apple included a built-in backup utility called Time Machine. Time Machine is an incremental backup solution, this means that at specified times OS X will backup any file changes to your Time Machine drive. This saves space and keeps multiple versions of the file snapshot available to you.

This is the easiest backup solution and should be one of the first things you do when you get a Mac.

More information on Time Machine, setting it up, and how it works can be found here:
Clone or System Imaging

Clone or system imaging backups are point-in-time backups that are exact mirrors of your system at the moment the backup is done.

While it's not as flexible nor does it have the multiple versions like Time Machine, the one main advantage of this type of backup is that the drive is bootable. This means you could boot your Mac off this drive if your internal drive won't boot.

Many of our members use this as a secondary backup to their Time Machine. How often you choose to take this image is up to you and depends on the rest of your backup setup and risk tolerance.

There are two great pieces of software to accomplish a clone backup:
Cloud or Remote Backup Solutions

An often overlooked type of backup are remote or cloud backup solutions. While external drives are the first line of defense, what happens if there's a disaster that destroys both your computer and external drive, what if they're both stolen, what if you somehow lose both? Are you prepared to lose all your important files and memories?

There are cloud services available for a small monthly fee that allow you to backup the contents of your computer to a cloud-based storage solution, often for less than the cost of one Starbucks latte a month.

The backups are encrypted, sent to the cloud, and stored encrypted on their servers. It's a very secure process.

We highly recommend BackBlaze which allows unlimited cloud storage for as little as $3.96 per month and it is also very Mac friendly.

Last edited: 07.29.2011
Original thread: Backups, Backups, Backups.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Excellent post!
Thanks Scweb.

EDIT: Just noticed this is post number 2001 for me, and I guess in a way backups can be a Space Odyssey . . .

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Excellent post!
Thanks Scweb.
Thanks, but I also owe some gratitude for mcbie for the original thread which we used as the basis for this update!

QUOTE Thanks
beamon

beamon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5 in. iMac i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Mt. Lion 10.8.2

Thanks a bunch for that, Schweb. As a new Mac user, it is valuble info.

I've been using TM writing to an external HD and Carbonite, but think I'll add clone image capability with "Super Duper" or "Carbon Copy Cloner".
QUOTE Thanks
Diamondback

Diamondback is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mid 2010 15" MBP 2.53GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD @ 7200 rpm, Hi-Res AG Screen; OSX 10.7.1

Schweb,

Can the external drive containing Time Machine backups also be encrypted using the procedure described in the link you provide. If so, are there any precautions or caveats? Will you be prompted for a password every time Time Machine kicks in if you are backing up to a Time Capsule wirelessly?

Thanks.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
Schweb,

Can the external drive containing Time Machine backups also be encrypted using the procedure described in the link you provide. If so, are there any precautions or caveats? Will you be prompted for a password every time Time Machine kicks in if you are backing up to a Time Capsule wirelessly?

Thanks.

Mark
You can encrypt the TM backup disk the same way, there's actually a preference for it when you select your drive in the TM setup preferences (as long as the drive was partitioned using a GUID Partition Table).

The password you create is stored in the keychain so you won't need to enter it each time unless you choose not to store it.

The only caveat is if for some reason you ever lose or forget your password, getting to your data will be next to impossible. Also, to encrypt an existing TM drive would mean formatting the drive first so you'll lose your previous TM backups.

QUOTE Thanks
Diamondback

Mac Specs: Mid 2010 15" MBP 2.53GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD @ 7200 rpm, Hi-Res AG Screen; OSX 10.7.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
You can encrypt the TM backup disk the same way, there's actually a preference for it when you select your drive in the TM setup preferences (as long as the drive was partitioned using a GUID Partition Table).

The password you create is stored in the keychain so you won't need to enter it each time unless you choose not to store it.

The only caveat is if for some reason you ever lose or forget your password, getting to your data will be next to impossible. Also, to encrypt an existing TM drive would mean formatting the drive first so you'll lose your previous TM backups.
Thanks, most helpful.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
Thanks, most helpful.

Mark
No problem. I actually store backup copies of my encrypted drive passwords in 1Password just in case or you could also create a secure note in Keychain Access as a backup also just to be safe.

QUOTE Thanks
Diamondback

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I actually store backup copies of my encrypted drive passwords in 1Password just in case or you could also create a secure note in Keychain Access as a backup also just to be safe.
Good point. I already use 1Password so will go that route.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Excellent job.

Just for interest Disk Utility can also clone your hard drive. Unlike SuperDuper or carbon Copy Cloner do incremental cloning. It runs the full process each time.

Edit: No matter which cloning program you use I suggest booting from the clone at least once when it's complete just to make sure everything is working and you can log in. Had a clone fail once. I didn't know that till I needed the clone and could not log in to any of the accounts.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Excellent Schweb. If I can think of anything to add, will let you know, but you covered it all from what I can see.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I agree, excellent job schweb!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post

Edit: No matter which cloning program you use I suggest booting from the clone at least once when it's complete just to make sure everything is working and you can log in. Had a clone fail once. I didn't know that till I needed the clone and could not log in to any of the accounts.
I would add that, in addition to DR (disaster recovery) testing your clones, you may want to occasionally test a simple file restore from your time machine backup. I do this, occasionally, with a small text file.

BTW, as an aside... my TM backup from 10.6 became corrupted after my move to 10.7. When I moved back, since it was deleted during the subsequent backup, I could not restore from TM. I could, however, restore almost everything I actually NEEDED manually since you can mount the sparsebundle as a disk image. Yay for backups!

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
sdamato

sdamato is on a distinguished road

Just bought a GoFlex external HD by Seagate.
Plugged it in and can't seem to get the copied iTunes Library to Paste onto the drive.
I have a MacBook, OS 10.5.8.
Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!
sdamato
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdamato View Post
Just bought a GoFlex external HD by Seagate.
Plugged it in and can't seem to get the copied iTunes Library to Paste onto the drive.
I have a MacBook, OS 10.5.8.
Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!
sdamato
Need a little more info.
First of all did you format the HD first in Disk Utility to Mac OS Extended Journaled? If it is pre formatted to NTFS (windows) you won't be able to write to the drive.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
JBird

JBird is on a distinguished road

Hi I've tried to upgrade my Macbook Pro's internal hard drive which is 160GB (Hitachi) to 750GB (Western Digital). I'm having issues cloning the existing drive as I've tried using Super Duper and Carbon Copy Cloner.
Both appear to work perfectly and allow me to boot using an Iomax USB 2.0 adapter (to see if it works). However once I replace the hard drive it will not work at all and the question mark folder appears.
I've checked the connection and the old hard drive works fine so it's doesn't seem to be a connection issue.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong so any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Building Plans software | HHD space lost »