New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Official Backup FAQ or Start Backing Up Now!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

That would be GUID to boot an Intel Mac.

The other two options are:
Apple Partition Map - to boot PPC Macs
Master Boot Record - for Windows

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Nice catch. I was still trying to figure out what was wrong with that statement by the time you posted the answer.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
ELK

ELK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1 GB Mac Mini, 10.6.8

Thanks to each of you for your reply! I was glad to hear specifically that Mike T., chscag, and Rod S. have successfully used My Passport.
Bobtomay, thanks for the clarification that partition should be GUID; and thanks to slydude for confirming!
Much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
That would be GUID to boot an Intel Mac.

The other two options are:
Apple Partition Map - to boot PPC Macs
Master Boot Record - for Windows
Oops, thanks for the correction I have edited that post accordingly, must have been thinking of fly spray.

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK View Post
Thanks to each of you for your reply! I was glad to hear specifically that Mike T., chscag, and Rod S. have successfully used My Passport.
Bobtomay, thanks for the clarification that partition should be GUID; and thanks to slydude for confirming!
Much appreciated!
No worries ELK, I have edited that reply, silly me, a bit of brain fade there.

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |

I've never done a TimeMachine backup or cloning, I have simply saved important stuff piecemeal on thumbdrives or CDs as backups (which has become rather pack rat-like over a few years). Since the price of externals has dramatically decreased of late, I am investigating and considering this much more efficient method!
According to this macworld article I can use a single external drive (of sufficient size) to backup both my macbook and my husband's iMac. Would this require partitioning or other different steps than if it were just one computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKitten View Post
I've never done a TimeMachine backup or cloning, I have simply saved important stuff piecemeal on thumbdrives or CDs as backups (which has become rather pack rat-like over a few years).
Just in case you haven't read post #1 of this thread. Please give it a read...you may find it a helpful overview.

Official Backup FAQ or Start Backing Up Now!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice

Uh, I've been a member here for a little while. I read this entire thread, followed links from the original post, and have searched for an answer online as well. Not saying I haven't missed something, I simply want to know if there are additional steps when backing up two machines to the same external harddrive. I guess specific questions for clarification are no longer welcome around here. I'll remember to begin all future questions with "after searching this forum and the internet for an answer..."

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKitten View Post
Uh, I've been a member here for a little while. I read this entire thread, followed links from the original post, and have searched for an answer online as well.

I guess specific questions for clarification are no longer welcome around here. I'll remember to begin all future questions with "after searching this forum and the internet for an answer..."
And how is posting this helpful?? We can't read your mind…so I really do not know what you have done prior to asking your question…or what your level of computing expertise is. But let me please clue you in on something. When someone begins a posting with this statement:

"I've never done a TimeMachine backup or cloning, I have simply saved important stuff piecemeal on thumbdrives or CDs as backups (which has become rather pack rat-like over a few years)."

It's generally a pretty good assumption that the person posting this info is not a computing expert…or at least…is not a data backup expert!

This is why I suggested reading post #1 of this thread. So if there were some things you did not know…post #1 of this thread would provide a GREAT overview of a subject that you have already admitted...you don't know much about…and haven't done before (a Time Machine backup or a hard drive cloning).

- Nick

p.s. It's been about 3+ years since you've been active on Mac-Forums. If you visited more often…and were more active…I and others might have a better idea of your computing knowledge & expertise!

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

Forgive me. Setting aside my error in improperly identifying myself or my level of expertise, I specifically asked twice if anything is required in addition to the provided information in order to backup two computers on a single external. If you don't want to give me the answer (which I have not found on my own), please allow someone else to tell me?

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
According to this macworld article I can use a single external drive (of sufficient size) to backup both my macbook and my husband's iMac. Would this require partitioning or other different steps than if it were just one computer?
Partitioning would be best. Theoretically, Time Machine would be able to separately identify the backups and not mix them up. However, for safety sake, it's best to partition the external hard drive and name each partition. Use simple names that are not confusing: Mary's backup, John's backup and so on. You get the idea.

As inexpensive as external hard drives are nowadays, it may be better to buy two drives, one for your Mac and the other for your husband's Mac. The reason this may be better is if for example, the single hard drive should fail you would lose both backups. Keeping the backups separate on separate hard drives is a safer route to take. But of course, that's completely up to you to decide.
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

Thanks, chscag, I appreciate the info and point of view. Will consider two drives.

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Miglia TVMini+ Not recognised by Eye TV (Tiger) | Adaptor for Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo HX 32gb »