New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Official Backup FAQ or Start Backing Up Now!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

avigayildagea

avigayildagea is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X 10.6.8, iPhone 4S iOS 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Why you should backup

Clone or System Imaging

Clone or system imaging backups are point-in-time backups that are exact mirrors of your system at the moment the backup is done.

While it's not as flexible nor does it have the multiple versions like Time Machine, the one main advantage of this type of backup is that the drive is bootable. This means you could boot your Mac off this drive if your internal drive won't boot.

Many of our members use this as a secondary backup to their Time Machine. How often you choose to take this image is up to you and depends on the rest of your backup setup and risk tolerance.

There are two great pieces of software to accomplish a clone backup:
Last edited: 07.29.2011
Original thread: Backups, Backups, Backups.
Question: Do you know if this system imaging/clone will also backup any virtual machines installed? I have Parallels Desktop 5 installed on Mac OS X 10.6.8. Yes it's outdated, I plan to get rid of it entirely and upgrade to Mountain Lion and use iWork 09, but before I do that I want to backup and clone my current files and system just in case things go wrong *knock on wood*.

Terima kasih! ("Thank you", in Indonesian language)
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I don't know from experience, but don't see why it wouldn't.

Regardless, you should ALWAYS test a clone by booting from it and accessing your files. So, try it and you will have your answer.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Since the virtual machine is a file, yes it will back it up.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
avigayildagea

avigayildagea is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X 10.6.8, iPhone 4S iOS 6.1

Thanks for the answers, I just wanted to be sure because Carbon Copy Cloner is no longer donationware, it's a commercial product. So I didn't want to go ahead and pay for something that turns out not to do what I needed it to do.
QUOTE Thanks
Hyperborean

Hyperborean is on a distinguished road

Hopefully posting this here makes sense... I just bought a WD My Book for Mac 3TB for my iMac. I'm one of those people that thinks he knows more than he does and tends to learn from screwing up, so I guess I need to ask before I do things. What I am looking to do is use this external hard drive for constant backup and purely external storage. I was wondering if I can partition the drive to use 2 TB as just an area to drag and drop anything I don't want stored on my Mac. It will be 90% music and movies. Then I want that leftover 1TB to act as a time machine for what I keep on the Mac. With all of that being said does doing this even make sense? If it makes any difference my iMac is 500GB (should I just use 500GB for the time machine?). I know through reading these posts that you should backup everything but I need more storage space as I am now down to about 90GB left on this iMac and to be honest nothing on here will cause me to jump off a cliff if i lose it. And if this is just a stupid idea and there is an easier more logical way to do this please share it with me. Thanks.

Let us look each other in the the face. We are Hyperboreans, we know well enough how far outside the crowd we stand.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You can do as you propose. Make sure that you create a large enough partition. The general consensus is to have the Time Machine partition be a bit larger than the drive you are backing up. The Time Machine backup could be on the same partition as your other data. I have mine set up that way at the moment though it's not exactly best practice.

The one thing to keep in mind is that should the backup drive fail you could lose both your Time Machine backup and your other data.

Edit: When preparing thhe drive for Time Machine make sure the drive or Time machine partition is formatted as hfs+ extended journaled.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

I have the same drive and I have done exactly what you are proposing to do. I've heard it said (here, in fact) that the backup drive should be twice as big as the drive it's backing up, so 1T should be plenty to backup your 500MB iMac. One thing to note: The TM backup will not be bootable, so if the internal drive dies, you'll need to replace it, then either boot from something (install discs?) or reinstall OSX and then restore everything else from the TM backup. As I said, TM backs up the OS, but isn't bootable. An alternative is Carbon Copy Cloner, which makes a clone of your HD, which is then bootable. You can script CCC to run when you want it, and it can archive what it is replacing if you choose to do so. CCC isn't free, TM is.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

I got a simple question. Lets say I back up my Mac Mini or my wife's MBA with TM. Then the mac fails for any odd reason and hardware is fried. So I get a new Mac with a newer OS. Can my files be transferred via TM to the new Mac with ease?

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***

Last edited by Exodist; 10-19-2013 at 03:05 AM. Reason: EDITED: Ment Time Machine not Capsule..
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Yes, without any issues.
During installation of your new Mac you will have the option to restore backups from Time Machine.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
Yes, without any issues........

Cheers ... McBie
Awesome, thanks McBie

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
Rick T

Rick T is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro mid-2012 Retina display OS X 10.8.5 2.3 Ghz 8GB memory 256 GB storage

My mid-2012 MacBook Pro has been backing up to Time Machine since Day1, but I would like to add an external drive to create a clone backup. I am running Parallels 9 for Windows 7 and noted a previous post that stated it would be backed up as the virtual machine is a file, so I hope that question is answered. I am looking for advice on the following:

1. Type of external drive recommended: USB 2.0 powered or AC adaptor powered?
2. Format: Should I be looking for a specific format as I notice that various drives come with various formats and I do not know how to reformat drives.
3. Any brand recommendations?
4. Based on this sticky, I anticipate using SuperDuper. Any issues I should be aware of?
5. What have I not asked that I should have?

Rick
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all

@Rick T,

1. Your choice. Depends on how you plan to use the backup drive. If it's never going to travel, just sit there, then AC powered is probably better. But if you take it with you everywhere, then USB power could be better.
2. Nope, you can reformat it to Mac Extended (Journaled) with Disk Utility
3. I use WD, but others have other preferences. If you get WD, don't use their utilities, just use Disk Utility as it came with your Mac.
4. I don't use SD, I use Carbon Copy Cloner, but there shouldn't be any issues.
5. Size. Get a drive that is at least twice the size of the drives you are backing up. And yes, the Parallels file for your VM can be included in the backup, so that's taken care of for you.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
Rick T

Rick T is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro mid-2012 Retina display OS X 10.8.5 2.3 Ghz 8GB memory 256 GB storage

Thanks, Jake. You answered my questions. Now I have a new one.

A quick look at 1 TB drives shows they are all USB 3.0 which my Mac does not have. As I recall, USB3.0 is backward compatible with 2.0, you just will not get the performance gain if you plug a 3.0 device into a 2.0 port. Is this correct?

Rick
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

True. I don't have USB3 either, so I use Firewire because it's much faster than USB2. I do have to pay a little more for it, but I prefer the performance. For backups, you may not care, until and unless you have to restore. I recently had to restore a full drive through USB, and it took 20+ hours at USB2 speeds.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
skallal

skallal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" mid 2012 16 gb ram

I'm using an external USB 3 drive, the Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB. I do have USB 3 on my MBP mid 2012, the main reason I chose it. I assume USB 3 is faster than FireWire?

I have my 1TB in the 3 partitions: 2 - 250 MB partitions and a 500 MB partition. The 250 MB partitions I use for cloned drives, and the 500 MB partition is for Time Machine. I'm pretty new on Mac backups, but managed pick it up in the past couple weeks.

I use Super Duper (unregistered) for cloning. Registration gives more features, but it does NOT have incremental backups. Thinking of Carbon Copy Cloner for the incremental feature, and maybe use it instead of Time Machine.

I put Mavericks on my MBP twice! The first try didn't go well. So put ML back on with the Super Duper clone. Later I figured out how do an OS upgrade with a clean install and Time Machine restore. First erase the partition and install Mavericks from a USB thumb drive. When the installation is nearly complete, there is a prompt to restore from Time Machine. The restore took me 3 - 4 hours because the install partition and the Time Machine backup partition were both on the external USB drive. But it restored my settings! Once I was satisfied with the new Mavericks installation, I cloned it to my internal hard drive. OS X has some pretty slick tools. If only I could do this on Windows!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Building Plans software | HHD space lost »