New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Official Backup FAQ or Start Backing Up Now!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bosonian

Bosonian is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Thanks for the fine essay on backing up a Mac.

I have a MacBook Pro running Leopard. I use time machine, and I have a bootable disk that came with my MacBook. Is there any reason for me to make a clone image? I'm not worried about the trouble of doing it; when I've used Windows it's been regular maintenance. I'm just wondering if there's any advantage.

Good luck, Dan S
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.5 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Having a bootable clone on an external disk can be a life saver.
You can restore your Mac much faster if your hard drive fails and you can boot from your clone and continue working whilst you wait for a new hard drive.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.5 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Here is an interesting read on backups and a comparison of a number of backup tools.

Best Mac backup software: 6 apps tested | News | TechRadar

Enjoy.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Nice find as usual. Tried to give a rep bump but apparently you were the last pErson I gave rep to.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
ghostkey13

ghostkey13 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" '07 Lion 10.7 BlackBook 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 500 GB SATA 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM GMA 950 64 MB

My Mac has a lot of expensive professional apps installed by the previous owner that I do not have the discs for. Is it possible for me to copy the apps to my external hard drive or to a disc image before I do a clean install?

I would like to do a clean install because some of the settings (including his email that's still synched to the App Store and I don't have his password to update the apps) are still present on the computer and I would like to remove that.

If moving the apps to a disc or hard drive isn't possible, does anyone know of another way? Thanks.

Last edited by ghostkey13; 02-14-2012 at 10:58 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you do not have the disks for those "expensive apps" then they are not legally yours anyway and should be removed. Besides, it's likely that copying them to an external hard drive and then attempting to install them again after a fresh install of OS X, will not work.
QUOTE Thanks
ghostkey13

Mac Specs: 13" '07 Lion 10.7 BlackBook 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 500 GB SATA 3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM GMA 950 64 MB

Well, technically, the apps were sold WITH the Mac. The wholesale company I bought it from (on eBay) knew he was selling those programs to me and he included them in the price I paid. I'm not removing them because I need them for my music, picture, and video production.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It doesn't matter that the wholesale company sold the programs to you with the machine. Without the original disks, those programs are not licensed to you and are legally not yours. Contact the seller and ask for the disks. If he can't provide them to you, chances are he did not have the right to sell them to you. I would then ask him for a refund for the cost of the programs he illegally sold you.
QUOTE Thanks
ghostkey13

I'll try contacting him and asking for the discs, but I highly doubt he would refund me the money for all the programs because all together the programs came out to over 2 thousand dollars, and I only paid less than 600 for the MacBook. I also noticed that most of the programs were purchased in the App Store.
QUOTE Thanks
ghostkey13

He said that he didn't have the discs because his distributor handles that. It's not a big deal to me I don't need to do a restore, but I found that Time Capsule saves all of my applications and files to my external hard dive so I can put them back on my Mac after I restore. The back-up is all done and now I just need to buy the Lion disc, I just want to make sure Time Capsule does what I think it does.
QUOTE Thanks
sunhill

sunhill is on a distinguished road

Help! I am upgrading to Snow Leopard and look forward to using time machine for back ups, but I don't have it yet, and don't yet have a portable hard drive... Any suggestions for one that will work with my Tiger 10.4.11 (On Macbook Pro 2 GHz Memory: 2 GB )? I've been going a bit cross eyed researching this, trying to find a 500GB or 1 TB drive for around $100 or less that will work... Suggestions? I know my MBP is now considered ancient but I do not want Lion and cant find new/refurb running snow leopard!
QUOTE Thanks
domlanic

domlanic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBA 13" 2012 8GB RAM

Lion 10.7.4, MBA 11" mid 2011, OWC 128GB SSD, 2GB RAM. Have used old 64GB drive as backup with Time Machine successfully but now cannot back up because TM reports insufficient space on Backup drive.
Yet TM display says "old back ups will be deleted sequentially"- so what am I missing here?
QUOTE Thanks
j800r

j800r is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac mid 2010, 3.06GHz Core i3

Some sage advice here. Thanks to the simpleness of Time Machine the Mac pretty much teaches users to back up. The thing is, you don't actually have to worry about backing up as Time Machine will take care of it for you. Fantastic! Before I made the switch I never once made backups.

That being said, if your backup drive fails, your screwed. I just had my 1TB backup drive (which i had in an external enclosure) fail on me. I considered the possibility of it being the enclosure that was faulty but just today I connected the 10,000rpm raptor drive from my old PC to the enclosure and it mounted INSTANTLY and jetted through navigation faster than anything!

This is so depressing for me as I cannot afford the hefty pricetag of an external HDD. I have no backup options now and can't afford any. I'd use the raptor drive but it's only 150GB which is a fraction of my Macs HDD so I can't back up to it. However, I'm gonna have that connected to the enclosure, reformat it and use it for backing up crucial documents only (manually) and see how it holds out. If there are any problems then I'll know it was the enclosure and not the HDD, in which case I can easily replace the enclosure (£10 for a new enclosure is easy for me, but not £60 for an external hdd).

And as a side note I'm brand new here, so hi!
QUOTE Thanks
goatboy

goatboy is on a distinguished road

Hi I have a question about backing up multiple volumes to a single time capsule volume my set up is as follows

Mac Mini Intel Core 2 Duo running Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)

Internal Drive 160 GB
External Drive 1TB partitioned into:
TimeMachine Volume 500 GB (for backups)
DataStore 500GB (for extra data storage)

Now my internal drive is automatically backed up on the time machine volume but since I have enough space I'd like to include the Data Store partiton in the back up to Time Machine as well

Is this possible? I can't see how to do it if I click on preferences in time machine I see Time Machine and DataStore listed as exclusions but can't see a way to remove the exclusion from Data Store is the problem that both volumes are on one physical disk? Would I be better with a whole other external drive for Time Machine?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

goatboy:

Having a second copy of your files on the same hard drive is NOT a backup.
Yes... if you want to "backup" the files on the DataStore partition, you need another drive.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Building Plans software | HHD space lost »