New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Blazbo

Blazbo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Late 2011

I love this/these thread(s)!
I am on my second MBP - an ex PC owner but I'm still a user at work - with the same questions as 'MyLife' etc.
There is no way that I am as familiar with the Mac OS as I am with PC. Because I don't see a Mac until I use mine at home. - Yes I am digressing!

However, because of the 'uncertainty' as switcher with my first MBP I ran Symantec AV and Internet Security (IS). All was good but it cost me and I heard that it was not required with Mac and speed/performance issues etc.
So on this new MBP no AV or IS. Yes my MBP is updated, yes I use 'common sense' when visiting sites and no I don't travel down murky 'backwaters' intentionally - although I have accidentally.
As yet the system has held up, I'm pleasantly surprised. However, that nagging question persists. So I check this blog/thread regularly and always feel informed and updated after reading. Why, because within this thread alone, there's enough feedback and info to point you in the right direction should you need to acquire, downloads, info or just some re-assurance.
LONG LIVE THE THREAD!!
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazbo View Post
However, that nagging question persists.
You don't ever have to be afraid or in the dark.

Just scan your Mac with this free anti-virus program whenever you are concerned, and it will tell you if you have any malware problems. If you do, it can quarantine them for you, and it will allow you to delete them:

ClamXav (free)
ClamXav

If you want to be kept informed about the latest malware threats, and you want your information from a source that uses plain English and which isn't trying to sell you anything, I recommend that you keep an eye on:

Reed Corner Design Macintosh Malware Guide
Thomas' Corner : Mac Malware Guide

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks
Blazbo

Blazbo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Late 2011

Thanx RBS - much appreciated.

Remember - it saves you forgetting.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

This might be a good place and time to bring up something that I've had to address twice just today.

If your anti-virus (AV) software flags something, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are "infected."

Mac AV software can pick up things other than Mac malware.

There are literally over a million Windows viruses. Sometimes they show up as an attachment to an e-mail message that you receive on your Mac. Windows malware can't run on your Mac, it can't harm your Mac, and in fact it is entirely harmless to you and your Mac. As long as you don't volitionally e-mail it to a Windows-using friend (and I don't see why you would do that), you can just ignore it. Or if you prefer you can just trash it.

There are lots of what is known as "phishing" e-mails these days. Most Mac AV software can pick those up too. "Phishing" e-mails aren't viruses. In fact, they aren't programs of any sort. They are spam e-mails that you have received that are trying to get you, via social engineering (i.e. lies and deceit), to either do something you shouldn't (usually send them personal information or money), or visit a Web site you shouldn't. Usually those e-mails are pretty easy to spot and just trash. Never click on a link in an e-mail from from an institution; always navigate manually to that institution's Web site, or call them. Never e-mail anyone back with personal information, no matter how legitimate an e-mail appears unless you are very sure that the e-mail is from them and that they need that information.

So, if your AV software flags something, don't get all excited, and don't go running around saying that you have a Mac "virus" until you look up on the Web what your software flagged. Chances are that what you found is nothing.

Randy B. Singer

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Great advice Randy. +1
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

DNS Changer
DNSChanger Check: Look For Malware So You're Not Kicked Offline

The Fed's DNS Changer servers are going down today - double check that you aren't pointing to their servers.
Detect | DCWG

Now of course it seems the US server is down when I tried it this morning (too many people hitting it I believe)
DCWG Check UP - Inactive
For North America - you could try the Canadian server
DNSChanger Malware Checker - Détecteur de maliciel DNSChanger

Of course if you are infected it may be too late to even find this page.
QUOTE Thanks
kondi17

kondi17 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcgn View Post
I had some email issues a while ago with my MBP and thanks to this forum I down loaded ClamX. (Emails were being forwarded that I never sent). The ClamX found a Trojan in one of my trashed emails and I was able get through that problem.
My yahoo account also sent/ forwarded some e-mails that I've never sent. I installed ClamX which also found a Trojan tdss. I've removed it from my mac (by deleting the document/program which was on my mac, I've never actually had to get rid of any viruses myself) and also changed my password on my e-mail account. Is there anything else I should do? Changing my password on my mac? On any online accounts? From what I've read on here the malware would not work on apple products, so should I not worry?

Well I guess the question been already answered, in previous posts
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

The Macintosh Malware Catalog has a new address:
Thomas' Corner : Mac Malware Guide

Thomas Reed, curator of that list, has done an excellent job of keeping on top of every piece of malware for the Macintosh, and updating threat levels as necessary.

Randy B. Singer

QUOTE Thanks
ajcgn

ajcgn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kondi17 View Post
My yahoo account also sent/ forwarded some e-mails that I've never sent. I installed ClamX which also found a Trojan tdss. I've removed it from my mac (by deleting the document/program which was on my mac, I've never actually had to get rid of any viruses myself) and also changed my password on my e-mail account. Is there anything else I should do? Changing my password on my mac? On any online accounts? From what I've read on here the malware would not work on apple products, so should I not worry?

Well I guess the question been already answered, in previous posts
I've told some of my buddies to let me know if they get any suspicious emails from me. I haven't had any issues since my original problem. To paraphrase, vigilance is the cost of using the internet.
QUOTE Thanks
Newcomer

Newcomer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Iphone 4steve, Ipad2, MacBook Pro 13LED i7-2.9ghz 750GB

Hello,
I purchased a new MacBook Pro today. I have two questions.

The salesman at Bestbuy gave me a free copy of Trend Micro AV. He said that my new laptop would have Lion OS and I would need to update to Mountain Lion. He was very concerned that I not install TrendMicro because he said there were issues running TrendMicro AV on Mountain Lion.

So my questions are:
How do I get Mountain Lion... I waited until after the new OS release just to avoid having to upgrade. Will I have to pay for the OS upgrade? ... Ya, I know it is only 20 bucks : )

Does anyone know if there is a conflict between AV products and Mountain Lion?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

G'day and welcome to the forums.

You do not have to upgrade but with a new machine you are entitled to a free upgrade to Mountain Lion. Regarding AV software, if you feel you must have protection, download the highly recommended ClamXAV. Here are links:-

http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

http://www.clamxav.com

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Newcomer

Newcomer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Iphone 4steve, Ipad2, MacBook Pro 13LED i7-2.9ghz 750GB

Apple has already sent me the Content Code and Password.
I'll do some more reading in the forums before attempting the upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
rkmacuser

rkmacuser is on a distinguished road

I have had my PayPal account hacked, not too sure how but had an unauthorised billing for a MacBook Pro. Have lodged a dispute with PayPal and also have had made my bank aware and they will not process payment when it hits my credit card account.

Could someone recommend a good antivirus/malware app for Imac do not mind if it is not a freebie.

Thanks for all and any replies.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmacuser View Post
I have had my PayPal account hacked, not too sure how but had an unauthorised billing for a MacBook Pro. Have lodged a dispute with PayPal and also have had made my bank aware and they will not process payment when it hits my credit card account.
I don't think that you have been hacked. Lots of users have been receiving scam phishing e-mails:
Phishing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
that say that they have been charged on their PayPal account, on their UPS account, on their Chase credit card account, etc.

DON'T EVER click on anything in one of these e-mails. I hope that you didn't "lodge your dispute" with PayPal by clicking on a link in the e-mail you received. That's how they fool you into giving them sensitive private information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmacuser View Post
Could someone recommend a good antivirus/malware app for Imac do not mind if it is not a freebie.
You can use this free product to do a scan to see if you have an infection. But I'd be willing to bet that you don't have one. Rather, you fell for a social engineering trick.

ClamXav (free)
ClamXav

Randy B. Singer

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Good info Randy and a reminder to all of us about Phishing schemes. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« startup screen | java on mac »