New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

I have always questioned where the number 600000 came from and who would have an interest in understanding the level of success of this flashback thingy ....
Maybe this is an ( early ) indication.

Apple asks to shut domain belonging to Flashback researcher ‘Dr. Web’ – MacDailyNews - Welcome Home

btw..... this works both ways ..... for one company it is about the interest in the success rate, for the other it is about visibility/reputation.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

Could be a complete coincidence, and I'm probably playing Devil's Advocate, but if you look at the graphic that was included in the Sky News article, there's no mention of Russia (or China for that matter)...

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Flashback checker (will not remove Flashback if found) (OS X 10.5 or above only)
https://github.com/jils/FlashbackChecker/wiki

Free removal tool
Info:
Press Releases | Kaspersky Lab United States
or
Kaspersky Lab Offers
Download:
http://support.kaspersky.com/downloa...moval_tool.zip

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
Could be a complete coincidence, and I'm probably playing Devil's Advocate, but if you look at the graphic that was included in the Sky News article, there's no mention of Russia (or China for that matter)...
Well, if I did the math correctly, the countries there account for 98.5% of the infections. So, even if you do include China and Russia, they would be responsible for no greater than 1.5% of the infections.

(Go Canada! Silver medal! )

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
... (Go Canada! Silver medal! )
I was thinking along those lines looking at Belgium.... our neighbors are all on the list, so we are very fortunate to be ringfenced, almost like a wall ..... a f***wall

Sorry ... couldn't resist.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Mylife

Mylife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I wanted to make that a little larger to emphasize it.

The open safe files security hole (I can't call it a feature) was a terrible design decision. If you're using Safari, unchecking it should be the next thing you do.

Thanks just did that. Anything else I need to do in internet preferences or system preferences for that matter?

The paranoia is getting to me and I am looking into getting Intego X6 software.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be paranoid - that's unproductive and will make your experience considerably less enjoyable. Exercise vigilance and heed the advice & warnings that you get from the Mac community as a whole. Combine that with some common sense when browsing the web and you should be fine.

As for anything else to do, you might want to disable Java (unless you need it for something you do on a regular basis). You can do that by going to Safari > Security (don't confuse Java with Javascript - they are two very different things). If you use multiple browsers, you can disable the plugin system wide by going to /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app and unchecking "Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications."

I suggest this since Java is not only largely irrelevant on the client side these days but Apple seems to care little about Java. In this instance, a patch was released for the exploit used here back in February (source) but Apple only patched it when the trojan started taking advantage of Apple's lack of concern for patching Java with any speed (this goes back to what I was saying earlier in this thread about Apple's sometimes problematic lack of concern for patching products with any speed). I really wish Oracle would speed up the process of regaining control over the Java releases.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post

Last edited by vansmith; 04-11-2012 at 01:05 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
Mylife

Quote:
As for anything else to do, you might want to disable Java (unless you need it for something you do on a regular basis). You can do that by going to Safari > Security (don't confuse Java with Javascript - they are two very different things). If you use multiple browsers, you can disable the plugin system wide by going to /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app and unchecking "Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications."
When I click on Java Preferences it says I need a Java runtime, Install now? What is this?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

If it says you don't have a Java runtime installed, you won't have this problem. It's hard for something to affect you if you don't have it.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Mylife

Quote:
If it says you don't have a Java runtime installed, you won't have this problem. It's hard for something to affect you if you don't have it.
Got it... Step away from the install now button haha
QUOTE Thanks
ZeroTX

ZeroTX has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Apple working on software to remove the Flashback trojan | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News

At some point there has to be recognition that there is no invulnerable operating system and that protection and vigilance has to take place, for all OS users.
QUOTE Thanks
Pigstick

Pigstick is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM

Apple has released another update - Java for OS X Lion 2012-2013. They say:

This Java security update removes the most common variants of the Flashback malware.

This update also configures the Java web plug-in to disable the automatic execution of Java applets. Users may re-enable automatic execution of Java applets using the Java Preferences application. If the Java web plug-in detects that no applets have been run for an extended period of time it will again disable Java applets.

Java for OS X Lion 2012-003 delivers Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_31 and supersedes all previous versions of Java for OS X Lion.

This update is recommended for all Mac users with Java installed.

Guess another update is a good idea...
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

In addition to Apple's most recent Java update which can remove Flashback, Apple has just released a stand-alone Flashback Removal Tool:

Apple Flashback Removal Tool
Flashback malware removal tool

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks
Perranoak

Perranoak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPad2, iPhone5

... and I was finally about to take the plunge and buy a Mac!

I know, don't be paranoid. It's not paranoia about the malware but about Apple's very slow response.

Everybody knows it but everybody doesn't care!
RJD
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perranoak View Post
... and I was finally about to take the plunge and buy a Mac!

I know, don't be paranoid. It's not paranoia about the malware but about Apple's very slow response.
I am a PC Tech. Every PC I get in here has more Malware than I can count. Go Linux I guess since you are afraid of Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I access my SD Card | Time Machine Issue? »