New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhase2 View Post
I have always leaned toward Trend Micro for both Windows and now my MBP, iPad and iPhone. I do have a question: I read that when running a Windows OS on a Mac (partition style) to use a Windows-native AV program. However, what if I am running Parallels and both OSs are running at the same time? Will my single Mac AV program work, or do I need to have 2 AV programs running just as I have 2 OSs running?
You need to have an AV product on each VM instance. The host will be unaware of the goings-on on those guest OSes. So, each guest VM will need to be able to protect itself.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Larry H

Larry H is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.53 Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB

I appreciate the advice about not using Mac Keeper, but why is Mac Keeper advertised on this site?

Larry H
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

We have no control over that, however, we are trying through our Community Manager to have that particular ad removed.

Thanks for your concern.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, note; advertisements on a site don't indicate endorsement... Just like if you see a Ford commercial during your favorite sitcom, it doesn't mean the actors all drive one

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
ajcgn

ajcgn is on a distinguished road

I had some email issues a while ago with my MBP and thanks to this forum I down loaded ClamX. (Emails were being forwarded that I never sent). The ClamX found a Trojan in one of my trashed emails and I was able get through that problem.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcgn View Post
I had some email issues a while ago with my MBP and thanks to this forum I down loaded ClamX. (Emails were being forwarded that I never sent). The ClamX found a Trojan in one of my trashed emails and I was able get through that problem.
You might want to change your mail password. It's pretty unlikely that was the actual cause of the emails.

QUOTE Thanks
taint it sweet

taint it sweet is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" 12gb iMac i5; iPhone 4s; 13.3" MacBook Air

Are there more viruses attacking Apple products now, since more people now own them than before? I guess I mean...are more being created to go after the growing number of users on these operating systems?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

There are no viruses in the wild that can infect a Mac. The answer therefore, is no. There have been several malware Trojans which can easily be avoided. Read through this entire thread and Sticky.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
There are no viruses in the wild that can infect a Mac. The answer therefore, is no. There have been several malware Trojans which can easily be avoided. Read through this entire thread and Sticky.
Hmmmm ...... with all due respect but it is not because something has not happened in the past that it can not happen in the next 5 minutes ( so to speak )
The answer to both questions of "Taint it sweet " is definitely YES and not NO as you suggested.
When you question if the malware is successful today on OS X, that is a totally different ballgame.

It also strikes me that still today, denial and obscurity are used every time when answering questions on malware.
Then the semantics kick in by saying that a virus is not a trojan and vice versa. Whilst technically correct, an end-user doesn't care.
When the damage is done, it doesn't matter if it was a virus or a trojan does it ?

The quotes that your Mac runs on Unix so don't worry is also ...... well ....cutting corners.
People forget how many layers of code are written on top of Unix to make it OS X.
OS X is definitely more robust than other OS'es .... very true.

The biggest threat to OS X ( and yourself ) is what I call Layer 8 of the OSI model, the layer between the chair and the keyboard.
The bad guys will be most successful by simply asking you for your credentials and tricking you into disclosing them ..... hey let's face it, people talk and very often the mouse is faster than the brain.

You will have to be vigilant without being paranoid.
Keep your system and applications up to date at all times.
Update Adobe and Java stuff directly from their respective websites and not through some fancy looking pop-up window.
For applications and/or plug-ins ..... if you did not specifically went looking for it, don't install it.
Think before you type your password.
When in doubt, force-quit an installer and do not trust the logic behind the " No " or " Cancel " buttons.
Do you really need to operate your computer with " Admin " privileges ? ... convenient I know.

These are just a few of the things you can keep in mind in order to lower the threat level.

Don't get me wrong .... and by all means enjoy every minute of OS X ... I know I do.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Thanks for the reply McBie but the OP clearly asked:

Quote:
Are there more viruses attacking Apple products now
My answer was appropriate. We'll leave the future of viruses and threat attacks to the naysayers of OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
ZeroTX

ZeroTX has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It's pretty naive to believe that OSX is somehow impervious to virus/malware infection. Judging by its inclusion of protection software at the OS-level, Apple Computer also agrees that such an assertion is asinine.

Unix-based makes it free of malware/virus? Hah! Seriously, Unix/Linux/BSD, etc. fights malware/viruses non-stop and has since at least the early 90's when these systems began to have widespread internet connectivity. I used to subscribe to a security mailing list that came out with various hacks and patches DAILY... The quantity of vulnerabilities or attack methods was directly proportional to the popularity of the OS.... (therefore, Linux, and at that time, Solaris were the most often hit) As OS X becomes more popular and gains market share, Apple's behind-the-scenes virus/malware protection with necessarily increase to the appropriate level.

On my Windows Vista/7 machines, Microsoft's own free product works quite well and causes no annoyances. It scans and updates at night, and requires virtually zero cpu usage as best as I can tell. Just because you don't see an icon running doesn't mean that you don't have a product from Apple, just as Windows users have from Microsoft, protecting in the background.... necessarily so and increasingly so as market share and interest in attacking the OS grows. Hackers/malware authors get off on exposure and damage caused.... So they obviously attack the largest and most vulnerable audience, but what will it look like when Mac is 50% of the PC market? Same as now? Good luck with that thinking.

-Z
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
On my Windows Vista/7 machines...
You are obviously a Windows bigot. Listmoms, has this become a forum where trolls are welcome and allowed to spread FUD?

With regard to the coming flood of Mac malware, Windows bigots and the press have been predicting this for the past decade. Here are a couple of articles that I love on this topic:

Broken Windows
Daring Fireball: Broken Windows

So Witty (followup to Broken Windows)
Daring Fireball: So Witty

Here is an interesting article. It is simply entitled "Wolf." It is about the press crying "wolf" for the past decade with regard to the "coming wave of Mac malware."

Daring Fireball: Wolf!

Don't feed the trolls folks!

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
You are obviously a Windows bigot. Listmoms, has this become a forum where trolls are welcome and allowed to spread FUD?
No, it's not. But people of differing opinions are certainly welcome to share their views.

Given ZeroTX's track record during his time on the forums, I don't think his intent was to troll.

Quote:
With regard to the coming flood of Mac malware, Windows bigots and the press have been predicting this for the past decade. Here are a couple of articles that I love on this topic:

Broken Windows
Daring Fireball: Broken Windows

So Witty (followup to Broken Windows)
Daring Fireball: So Witty

Here is an interesting article. It is simply entitled "Wolf." It is about the press crying "wolf" for the past decade with regard to the "coming wave of Mac malware."

Although I agree with Gruber's viewpoint, I could see where one can argue that the amount of malware on the Mac has increased significantly over the past several years, particularly as the Mac's marketshare has grown. Now, they're not the kind of destructive viruses and worms we see on other platforms, but we're still seeing a significant increase in trojans, fake AV programs and the like.

Quote:
Don't feed the trolls folks!
It seems to me that's exactly what you just did.

QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Although I agree with Gruber's viewpoint, I could see where one can argue that the amount of malware on the Mac has increased significantly over the past several years, particularly as the Mac's marketshare has grown. Now, they're not the kind of destructive viruses and worms we see on other platforms, but we're still seeing a significant increase in trojans, fake AV programs and the like.
So, let's see. There are a handful of Trojan Horses for the Mac, and maybe three or four new Trojan Horses every year, all of which probably none of us will ever see even if we go looking for them:
Thomas' Corner : Mac Malware Guide

Yet for Windows there are over a *MILLION* viruses:
BBC NEWS | Technology | Computer viruses hit one million

Sophos says that there are as many as 95,000 new threats for Windows *every single day*!!!
2011 Security Threat Report | Sophos Security Topics

And you're telling me that there is a significant amount of Mac malware and we have to be afraid that it is increasing?

Sorry, that sounds like pure FUD to me. It sounds like the same garbage that we have been hearing from Windows bigots and the sensationalistic press for a decade. I think that spreading that type of FUD is a disservice to all of the ordinary Mac users on this discussion list who don't know better.

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks
ZeroTX

ZeroTX has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Sorry, no intent to troll. I love Mac hardware and MacOSX is a very nice OS. I'm figuring out how to integrate Mac machines into our lifestyle, probably starting with the wife's laptop and later mine, when it's due for replacement.

Anyway, the hidden malware protection within the OS doesn't mean impervious to malware, it just means internal protection rather than a separate and more visible icon. If you google for it, you'll also find droves of Linux users who claim no need for anti-malware/virus, along with the minority who disagree and are slammed by the zealots. For me, it's better safe than sorry.

For the record, I've not had an infection on a computer where I'm the sole user in at least 10 years. As most have said, common sense is the best anti-malware, and I would say that on average, Mac users are more savvy than an average Windows user, so that contributes as well. This is an even greater contributor to minimal need for anti-malware on Linux, since Linux is generally only used by advanced users.

Thanks for keeping it real :-) My wife's Vista machine sits right right now clearly infected by some type of trojan (which I think compromised our credit card as well), so her Mac will be loaded with anti-virus/anti-malware above and beyond that which Apple installs masked within the OS.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I access my SD Card | Time Machine Issue? »