New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Anti Virus

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EBrown22

EBrown22 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys I just bought my first MacBook Pro the other day and wondered what antivirus software you would recommend. Any information or advice would be appreciated. thanks!

 iPhone 4 
 MacBook Pro 13" 
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Note: Moved thread to appropriate forum - The Lounge announcement.

A large number of us would not recommend any anti-virus. You may want to have a read of our faq.

Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Mavericks, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

You do not need any anti virus. But if it will make you feel any better there is Sophos. Which I have on standby.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Take note a lot of problems on these forums are directly related to some AV installed software.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You don't need an anti-virus, as there are no Mac viruses.

However, if you feel you are the kind of person who would forward a suspicious email to Windows users without thinking about the risks, then you may want to employ an anti-virus program that can catch WINDOWS viruses before you spread them to your contacts. I'd suggest ClamX A/V for this, it's free and open-source. I would most certainly not spend any money -- ever -- on a fraudulent premise as a "Mac Anti-Virus" program.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

How about we deal with his question instead of once again being overly literal? You may think you're educating, but you're honestly just being misleading. There is malware for the Mac, which is what the common person is really looking for when they say "virus". They don't know any better.

Why not just be honest instead of feeling the need to give one part of the story without the rest? There's a whole lot more you can be telling them than just "there are no viruses for the Mac." There's a lot more to that story.

I would point you to this post as a reminder:
Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ

To the OP, read the FAQ linked in the first post and make your decision based off what you read.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I think people OUGHT to know the difference between viruses and other kinds of malware. How many questions have we gotten here that go like "I must have a virus because suddenly x, y and z started happening"?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
I think people OUGHT to know the difference between viruses and other kinds of malware. How many questions have we gotten here that go like "I must have a virus because suddenly x, y and z started happening"?
What they ought to know and what they do know are two different things. I would think hanging around here and looking at the questions we get about anything would show you that.

QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

And to further the point there are a lot of new users to computers. Not just switchers but actually people who have a Mac as there first computing experience. Some of those folks do not understand at all the difference between the two. I had the same question as a Windows user coming to Mac. But after doing my own research and thinking of my past usage and experience I determined that I did not need AV. Even people that know the difference between malware and a virus sometimes make the dubious mistake of contracting malware because they click too quickly. I call those folks "click happy." It takes experience to get good at discerning what is good, bad, spoofed etc.

My two cents worth.

Pat

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
EBrown22

EBrown22 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info schweb. I read the sticky and I feel like I have a better understanding now. I can't begin to explain the joy I already have from switching to a Mac after being a PC user my entire life

 iPhone 4 
 MacBook Pro 13" 
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

But wouldn't AV software mainly protect against viruses anyway? Isn't most malware successful when the user enables it to be somehow? I mean, no AV software can protect against a user clicking on an inappropriate website. A self-replicating and spreading virus is different and handled differently from user-installed malware; even more of reason to make the distinction. And it would probably be just as misleading to say that AV software will protect against all forms of malware.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
But wouldn't AV software mainly protect against viruses anyway? Isn't most malware successful when the user enables it to be somehow? I mean, no AV software can protect against a user clicking on an inappropriate website. A self-replicating and spreading virus is different and handled differently from user-installed malware; even more of reason to make the distinction. And it would probably be just as misleading to say that AV software will protect against all forms of malware.
You may want to do some research on how AV programs work, but yes, most also protect against known malware. They work by scanning the files you download to you machine, if they detect any type of malware, they'll alert you. You may want to look at Wikipedia or the software devs websites for more info.

They're really not just anti "virus", they're really anti malware, but the name has been around for decades just like iTunes isn't just 'tunes".

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power PC software on an Intel based Mac? | New to Mac! »