New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New to Mac!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

350Z

350Z is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,
I just ordered my first Mac
I'm not a big computer person at all but I figured I'd come on here and see what I can learn. I ordered the MBP 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 4bg Ram (which I'll upgrade myself to 8gb) and a 500gb HD.
Any advice would be great
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Welcome to Mac-Forums

You have certainly take the right first steps, buying a Mac is always a good step but seriously, I think everyone here would recommend what you have decided to do and upgrade it yourself. You'll save yourself a nice amount of money doing it that way.
My advice would be to just simply have a play around with it, have a look at the help centre on the computer when you get it, but mostly just ask away.
Ask as many questions as you want even if it may seem silly or newbie-ish, we don't judge here so anything you want to know we'll be happy to answer.

HTH,

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
350Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
Welcome to Mac-Forums

You have certainly take the right first steps, buying a Mac is always a good step but seriously, I think everyone here would recommend what you have decided to do and upgrade it yourself. You'll save yourself a nice amount of money doing it that way.
My advice would be to just simply have a play around with it, have a look at the help centre on the computer when you get it, but mostly just ask away.
Ask as many questions as you want even if it may seem silly or newbie-ish, we don't judge here so anything you want to know we'll be happy to answer.

HTH,

- Simon
Thats nice to know because people get torn up pretty bad on my 350z forums when they ask ridiculous questions. I'm more of a self learner and I like to read alot before I have to ask a question, but I'm sure I'll have a few
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Welcome aboard, 350Z! I think you'll find that this is a very friendly forum.

We actually have a special forum just for Mac newbies we call the Switcher's Hangout, I'm going to move this thread over there, since the one you posted in is geared toward "Community Suggestions and Feedback".

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Hemmingway

Hemmingway is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", i7 2GHz Quad Core, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD, OS X 10.7.1 - iPhone 3GS

Hello and welcome aboard!

I have a similar MBP and I cannot say enough times, I LOVE MY MAC!

The unspoken other great part of being a Mac owner is a really great community where you find plenty of helpful people and answers. There are also good threads you can just read through and beef up your OS X knowledge on your own.

Congratulations again! (Make sure you are sitting down when you first open your Mac and get started, or you will end up knocked on the floor)
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

Welcome aboard 350Z. I looked at a 370Z when I was looking for another car. I opted for the Mini Cooper instead. Only because I already had the goat. I liked the car except for the blind spots.

This forum is really great. Real smart Mac users who if you heed the advice can really make your experience far more fun and fulfilling. Read that "trouble free".

Welcome.

Pat

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
350Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Welcome aboard, 350Z! I think you'll find that this is a very friendly forum.

We actually have a special forum just for Mac newbies we call the Switcher's Hangout, I'm going to move this thread over there, since the one you posted in is geared toward "Community Suggestions and Feedback".
Thanks alot! I was actually looking for a subsection like that but I couldn't seem to find one. Thank you for moving me to the proper section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmingway View Post
Hello and welcome aboard!

I have a similar MBP and I cannot say enough times, I LOVE MY MAC!

The unspoken other great part of being a Mac owner is a really great community where you find plenty of helpful people and answers. There are also good threads you can just read through and beef up your OS X knowledge on your own.

Congratulations again! (Make sure you are sitting down when you first open your Mac and get started, or you will end up knocked on the floor)
I do plan on doing a good amount of reading to help me figure this out and build on my knowledge so I can do more than just the basics. I'm definitely excited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM View Post
Welcome aboard 350Z. I looked at a 370Z when I was looking for another car. I opted for the Mini Cooper instead. Only because I already had the goat. I liked the car except for the blind spots.

This forum is really great. Real smart Mac users who if you heed the advice can really make your experience far more fun and fulfilling. Read that "trouble free".

Welcome.

Pat
370z's are really nice cars too but I've heard the mini cooper's are fun to drive and handle great. What year gto do you have?
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

GTO is a 2005. 400 hp 6 speed. Has the 6 liter. Getting a lot of miles on it now but still runs perfectly. It's fun to go from light to light but the Mini's have more handling fun.

Pat

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you haven't gotten round to it already, have a read of the essay in my signature.
QUOTE Thanks
350Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM View Post
GTO is a 2005. 400 hp 6 speed. Has the 6 liter. Getting a lot of miles on it now but still runs perfectly. It's fun to go from light to light but the Mini's have more handling fun.

Pat
Nice I really like the 05's. Its nice to have a little bit of both worlds having the mini cooper also

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
If you haven't gotten round to it already, have a read of the essay in my signature.
For some reason I think that may have been the first thing I read when I checked out the site. Very useful thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anti Virus | Another Happy Mac convert »