New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Real Life Speed Difference

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

I have a need for speed but want a REAL difference.

Is there really that big of a performance difference between the 13" MBP with the 2.7 Ghz I7 processor, 8 Gb ram and the 15" MBP with the 2.2 Ghz Quad core I7 processor with the 7200 rpm 500 Gb drive and 1 Gb Radeon 6750 Graphics?

Is there a performance rating somewhere that I can refer to? What do you experts in the field see? I know there is a significant difference in the price but is the difference really worth it? My guess is that in graphics intensive applications the difference would be real. But would the difference show up in everyday computing with say lots of multitasking? Would there be a real difference in the "seat of the pants horsepower" if you will?

I am contemplating purchasing a notebook for my wife but I may give her mine and possibly look at the speedier model for me.

Regards,

Pat

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
StMFA

StMFA will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2

On a theoretical level, if you also have the 8GB of RAM in the 15inch, then yes you will see improvements. Also with moving up to the 15inch you are getting the quad core i7 which effectively is doubling your processing power, provided the programs/OS is programmed to take advantage of it. I would have to assume, though perhaps incorrectly, that the Apple apps in Lion will actually be able to take advantage of most of these upgrades.

Realistically, I'd suggest taking a look at youtube and seeing what others have posted. if you are just doing Web,email,itunes, maybe movies, using iPhoto, etc. Then you probably don't need to pay the premium. Depends on the extent of multitasking/what you plan to use it for.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

the 13" is a dual core, while the 15 is a quad (i believe). youll see massive increases in performance for multithreaded apps.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
StMFA

StMFA will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
the 13" is a dual core, while the 15 is a quad (i believe). youll see massive increases in performance for multithreaded apps.
Right, and I would assume that most native OSX apps are multithreaded? (thinking safari, iLife, iWorks, etc.)
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMFA View Post
Right, and I would assume that most native OSX apps are multithreaded? (thinking safari, iLife, iWorks, etc.)
those apps arent exactly strenuous on the CPU, but it will be a little bit zippier to process tasks.

stuff that you really see a difference in is games, video encoding/rendering, DSP processing, etc.

Garageband and iMovie would see good performance increases from the more powerful CPU.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
PatM

PatM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina

Yea, I hear what everyone is saying. I have that disease where you want to have all the horsepower you can have, even though you don't use it often, but you want it just in case it's needed! I know it's a bad disease and it's cost me a fortune over my life.

Thanks

15 " 2013 MBP OS X Ver. 10.9.1 16 GB Memory, 500 GB SSD, Retina, 2.3 Ghz I7, 30GB IPhone 5, 2012 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe, 2014 Toyota Corolla, 2007 Trailblazer, 2 RC Planes, 1 fantastic wife who puts up with my toys. Still Married After 30 Years.
QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

IMO an SSD would give you the most noticeable speed increase.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook battery the same? | Power PC software on an Intel based Mac? »