New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Publishing program to open MS Publisher doc

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

judith1965

judith1965 is on a distinguished road

I need a publishing program for my mac so I can open my old Microsoft publishing documents

What can I use to do this?

Can I export my old MS Publisher doc into a Mac program or must I redesign my project?

Where can I get a program?

How much will it cost?

Thanks for any help provided
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

1. No you don't. You need to forget that you ever used Publisher.

2. Nothing. MS Publisher stuff doesn't open in ANYTHING else. Even on PCs.

3. Re-design.

4. I'd suggest Pages as an excellent and far superior alternative.

5 and 6. Pages is part of iWork, you can buy the entire suite for $49, or just buy Pages from the Mac App Store for $20. I'd suggest getting the free trial from Apple first, in order to give yourself time to learn it.

Sorry to be blunt, but MS Publisher (or MESS publisher as it was known) was the laughing stock of the print industry and always has been, even on the PC side of things. I think it's criminal that Microsoft never made it exportable to anything else (except sorta-kinda PDF), but that's where you are.

You could set up Windows on your Mac, obtain a copy of Publisher and re-open the files, probably (of course the fonts would reset and the clip art would disappear, but that's typical MS Publisher behaviour when opened on a new PC) -- but all you'll be able to do is look at it, pretty much. As mentioned, Publisher doesn't play well with ANYTHING else, even MS's own other products. Sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
jetmech1

jetmech1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB

Look into iStudio Publisher. APP store has it for $17.99. I used a trial version a couple of years ago.

Mac Mini - 2.5 GHz i5 - 8 GB - 128 GB SSD & 1 TB HD - 2 Apple 23" LCD
15.4" Unibody MBP - 2 MacBook Airs
2 iPads, 3 iPhones, 3 iPods, 1 Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Microsoft Word can also do wonders with its templates nowadays, if you're already going to be using Office anyway. Microsoft even keeps a whole database of such templates online.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

As chas_m noted, nothing except MS Publisher itself will open a Publisher document. It's a MS proprietary format.

As for recommendations for a similar Mac program, there is Pages which can do layout work but is primarily a WP program. Price is right at $19.99 from the App store.

My choice is iStudio Publisher currently on sale at the App store for $17.99. Very similar to MS Publisher except does not have all the fancy templates which most people never use anyway. And considering MS Publisher is well over $100 (stand alone version), iStudio is a bargain.

I suggest trying both iStudio and Pages out and choose the one which best suits you.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I always forget about iStudio Publisher! Thanks for the assist guys.
QUOTE Thanks
PakaRiverman

PakaRiverman is on a distinguished road

Can anyone advise on which to use in place of MS Publisher. iStudio Publisher or iPage (iWorks). It has been confusing since switching as seems like all of the MS Publisher user is facing th same problem. Decision of what program to use to replace it. Please advice.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

They're both fine programs that are strongly supported. Why not download the free trials of each and take em for a spin?
QUOTE Thanks
PakaRiverman

PakaRiverman is on a distinguished road

Have just downloaded the iPage. The thought of reconstructing all my templats is horrifying. Thanks for the advice..
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by PakaRiverman View Post
Have just downloaded the iPage. The thought of reconstructing all my templats is horrifying. Thanks for the advice..
You would have had to have done it anyway, since I don't think MS even makes Publisher anymore, no self-respecting printer accepts such files, and it can't be converted to ANY other publishing program (not even Word, which I certainly wouldn't call a publishing program). Sorry about that, but this is probably how Framemaker fans feel as well ... or people with a bunch of files in ReadySetGo ...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PakaRiverman View Post
Re-doing templates is not that big a deal regardless if you choose Pages or iStudio. When I switched over some years ago I had numerous Publisher templates, even some custom ones that I made. It was just a matter of copying the style and content. And you may be surprised when doing so that you can make improvements.

MS Publisher in my humble opinion is overpriced. It's still being included with the expensive business version of Windows Office and it can be purchased stand alone. But who want to pay $149.95 when you can get the same thing for $17.99 or $19.99?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
And you may be surprised when doing so that you can make improvements.
Amen to that. In fact, if you're going from Publisher to ANYTHING else, you're *already* making improvements.

Quote:
But who want to pay $149.95 when you can get the same thing for $17.99 or $19.99?
Thanks for letting me know that Publisher is still around ... though it sure sounds like MS is trying to gently kill it off ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bookmark help? | iWork Numbers »