New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Incorrect username/password + Files to Backup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hotlips69

hotlips69 is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to assist a friend with their Powerbook G4 running Leopard with my limited Mac knowledge.

Firstly, something has happened and they can't get beyond the standard login (name & password) box to actually get into their files etc...

They are sure of their password, but not 100% sure of the name as it's normally just there and never needed to by typed.
We've tried lots of combinations of name/password, but each time the login box "shakes" indicating something incorrect I presume? (does it lockup after a certain number of incorrect attempts?)

Is there anyway to find the EXACT login name(s) on the laptop?
Is there anyway to reset the password (assuming we can determine the correct username) without doing damage to whatever may be installed?

On a totally seperate note, how can I access the files (itunes, iphoto, documents) and copy them onto my USB stick as a backup if I can't login?
If I boot from the O/S disk and select "Disk Utility" will this let me do this?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Just boot the machine with your original install media, skip past the install, go to the menu and reset your name and password. Reboot.
QUOTE Thanks
hotlips69

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Just boot the machine with your original install media, skip past the install, go to the menu and reset your name and password. Reboot.
When you boot from the original O/S disk, you have to confirm the language, and then select agree to the license, select the destination drive for the install, and then what?
How do you skip it actually continuing with the install?

What menu do you go to and what do you select?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Select the top menu, "Utilities", Reset name and password. Also, if you've forgotten your username, take a look at this hint: LINK
QUOTE Thanks
hotlips69

1) I've tried the previous suggestion without success as it says "no available users" when I select Macintosh HD as the correct drive when asked where the user account is.

10.5: Reset a user's password in single user mode - Mac OS X Hints
also doesn't work as I don't know the correct logon name and everything I guessed wasn't recognised.

I've now setup a root account so I can actually get into the system and see the files etc...

When I go into the "Users" folder, there is "jaqui" & "Shared" listed.
Jaqui is the name of the lady who owns the laptop and if I click on her name, I can then see her Desktop contents, Documents, Music etc.. which is all good.

I'm now stumped, as "jaqui" doesn't work as a valid logon name when I tried to change the password on the above link.

2) I found & tried the following:
fsck -yf

mount -uw /

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServicesLocal.plist

passwd #this will change roots password, you will be prompted to enter it twice

dscl

list Local/Default/Users

I then get a long list of system-type names, the majority start with "-" except for 3 names at the bottom of the list:
daemon
nobody
root

no sign of jaqui as I would have hoped and no clue who "nobody" or "daemon" are!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

This is classic "someone renamed the home folder" chaos. From where you are now, it's virtually impossible to fix.

You can use the root account and an external drive to save the ENTIRE user account folder (ie the "home" folder) to the external for future use, but after that I'd just wipe the drive and start over (Migration assistant will probably be able to "restore" your user from there).
QUOTE Thanks
hotlips69

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
This is classic "someone renamed the home folder" chaos. From where you are now, it's virtually impossible to fix.

You can use the root account and an external drive to save the ENTIRE user account folder (ie the "home" folder) to the external for future use, but after that I'd just wipe the drive and start over (Migration assistant will probably be able to "restore" your user from there).
I tried to copy the files to my USB stick.
I selected "copy" on the folder, went to my USB stick (it's formatted in NTFS as I use it for my Windows backups, but I can see all my files on there) but there was no "paste" option when I right click on this folder.

Am I missing something obvious when trying to copy?
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

NTFS can't be written to natively. You can get NTFS mounters.

See this thread:
Idiot Question About External Hard Drives

There is also a free product, MacFuse, that can write to NTFS. Google for it.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to allMacInWin is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

Or, you can format the USB stick as FAT32 and it will be readable/writeable from both OSes.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newbie who cant decide | Newbie here »