New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

clean Lion install & Time Machine backup

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rackydoo

rackydoo is on a distinguished road

Greetings

I have a 6 week old MP Pro that I installed my free Lion install on he other day.
I made a bootable disk of Lion so I can do a clean install.

Being a MAC newbie I have some questions

On my Windows PCs I always preferred a clean install of a OS, I prefer to do the same with Lion. Is that overkill on my part?

Once I do the clean install how do I restore my machine using my time machine back up?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackydoo View Post
On my Windows PCs I always preferred a clean install of a OS, I prefer to do the same with Lion. Is that overkill on my part?
Some will say yes, some will say no. I usually just upgrade. For Lion I initially upgraded, but I then I did a clean install just to try it out so I could help answer questions. In my case, I saw no stability or speed difference between the two. Others say they did see a difference.

Quote:
Once I do the clean install how do I restore my machine using my time machine back up?
It will ask you during the setup process if you want to restore from a Time Machine backup.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
rackydoo

rackydoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Some will say yes, some will say no. I usually just upgrade. For Lion I initially upgraded, but I then I did a clean install just to try it out so I could help answer questions. In my case, I saw no stability or speed difference between the two. Others say they did see a difference.

It will ask you during the setup process if you want to restore from a Time Machine backup.
Thank You
QUOTE Thanks
wbd2020

wbd2020 is on a distinguished road

I upgraded to Lion (straight upgrade, did not clean install). I have read around the web about people having similar speed issues that I am having (getting really tired of the spinning ball).

My question about Time Machine, if I have a full back up of a Lion system, do a clean install and then Restore my Back up, won't I just bring back whatever was bugging my system in the backup? Only reason I am trying to use the time machine backup is that I don't want to have to go through the process of reinstalling the Adobe Creative suite (it takes forever) and I have work to do...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

While it's true that your Time Machine backup will restore all your applications and settings, you need to understand that it will not overwrite system files and kernel extensions that are already in place from the clean install. That's the real purpose of doing a clean install. Additionally, any fragmentation of the drive that was incurred with the upgrade will be removed.

A clean install may speed things up for you and remove any of the little glitches that are left over from the upgrade to Lion from Snow Leopard. Just make sure you have a good Time Machine backup before doing a clean install.
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

Is there a simple way to ensure a Time Machine is good? I really don't want/know how to set up external drives and clone stuff and all that jazz. I think it's perfectly fine, but who knows

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Time Machine will report back to you if it encounters any errors while making the backup. Additionally, you can open Time Machine and from the Finder like dialog, you can navigate and see all your folders and files. It should reflect what's on your hard drive.

When doing a clean install, it's always a good idea to use both Time Machine and cloning. But that's up to you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« safari | Battery or adapter »