Unhappy HELP!...How DO I Access App Store and iTunes
    How do I first-time access the App Store and the iTunes store?

When I click on the App Store icon in the dock (or select it under the Apple icon) it opens a screen but it is empty and grayed out - including the search window. In short..it seems "Dead".

I have never visited the App Store or iTunes before today. Is there a special registration process located at some other place I need to do first? I do have a verified Apple ID.

I am running Mac OS X v10.6.7 on iMac dual Core 2 Duo at 2.66 GHz w/8GB, and this is the first problem in two years since it was set-up.

Any helpful suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jellytoes

How to Access App Store and iTunes

When I click on the App Store icon in the dock (or select it under the Apple icon) it opens a screen but it is empty and grayed out - including the search window. In short..it seems "Dead".

I have never visited the App Store or iTunes before today. Is there a special registration process located at some other place I need to do first? I do have a verified Apple ID.

I am running Mac OS X v10.6.7 on iMac dual Core 2 Duo at 2.66 GHz w/8GB, and this is the first problem in two years since it was set-up.

Any helpful suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jellytoes

I had trouble also with the app store. After talking to tech support, I had to take mine in to the local apple store. Once there, only 1 of the techs at the genious bar had the tools needed to get it running. Took about an hour. I hope your's has a simpler fix!
    2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5, 8/300 gig 27" + 23" disp

Quote Originally Posted by wheelguy12 View Post
    I had trouble also with the app store. After talking to tech support, I had to take mine in to the local apple store. Once there, only 1 of the techs at the genious bar had the tools needed to get it running. Took about an hour. I hope your's has a simpler fix!

I had hoped that an Apple computer was easier than that! Even a Windows machine wouldn't need a "carry-in" service call to simply get an application executed.

Maybe I need to swap-back quickly!

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Something is a bit odd but I wonder why it required a trip to the local store. Are either of you experiencing other odd behavior?

Also have either of you used Software Update to update the OS lately. Once in a while it will bork something up.
    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

That was the only problem I had with my brand new in-the-box MBP 2011 early 13". Everything else works perfectly, even running Windows server 2008 in a Virtual Machine works very well. That said, getting the app store running was a severe experience for me - there is something definitely different about the app store that I haven't seen with any other app.

One of the things apple phone support told me to do was to upgrade the OS, and he gave me a link to the specific upgrade for my new machine. After doing that, my machine mis-behaved in a number of new and frustrating ways. In short, phone support couldn't fix it.

Like I said - I had to take it to the store to get it fixed. They re-installed the OS from scratch, and (still no app store) installed some sort of special version of the app store for me. Since then, it's been perfect - but I'm sure not going to do any kind of OS "upgrade" from here on out.

Specs:
    That is odd. OS upgrades usually go well for me. And for most users I suspect. I'd love to know that that guy installed that fixed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellytoes View Post

Try updating to 10.6.8. I'd manually download the 10.6.8 Update Combo and apply that.
    Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

lol - I'd like to know too. The software for the fix came from a ruggedized encrypted USB hard drive which had a collection of "special tools and fixes", according to the tech. No question about it, he is the 1 "go-to" guy for that store. Maybe all of the bigger apple stores has one? I don't know, I'm just glad somebody was able to fix it.

Specs:
    I ask because I left a machine at an authorized Apple retailer once (before Apple stores) because it wouldn't boot from any utility/system disc I had. When I picked it up he gave me a similar statement. Less than a week later when the machine started acting up I took it elsewhere. The second guy basically said bull feathers. There may be such a thing now.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    @Jellytoes:

Do not post the same question more than once. You now have two threads concerning your initial question. I have merged them together. Always post back to the same thread and not start another or cross post. Thanks.

Thread Information