New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Using iWeb first time.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

suggy73

suggy73 is on a distinguished road

I just ordered my new imac on Friday, and I can't wait for it to arrive, and to leave the PC wastelands behind.

1 of the first things I want to set about doing is designing a web site for my wife's new business. I was going to use iWeb, as it looks really simple to use and there are plenty of ways to customise. My question is, once the site is ready to publish, where's a good place in the UK to host, and I've heard there can be issues viewing iWeb sites on a IE, Firefox and Chrome. How true is this?

Thanks, and can't wait to get started on my new machine.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suggy73 View Post
I jI was going to use iWeb, as it looks really simple to use and there are plenty of ways to customise.
Yes, it's a very easy program to use. Fair warning, however: you can't edit an iWeb-made site in anything BUT iWeb, and Apple appear to have decided to let iWeb die on the vine (ie they're not discontinuing it per se, but there is little hope of a new version).

Quote:
I've heard there can be issues viewing iWeb sites on a IE, Firefox and Chrome. How true is this?
I can't speak for IE (who uses that anymore??), but I've seen no issues with iWeb sites on FF or Chrome.
QUOTE Thanks
suggy73

suggy73 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response Chas. Can you suggest any other good easy to use web design programs for the mac that won't stretch the budget too much.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

For people who like the look and feel of iWeb but want something more (and better supported), I'd suggest checking out RapidWeaver. It's $80 but it's often on sale through Mac Bundle offers.

There's also Sandvox and FreeWay, which are similar (template-based, elegant designs, easy to use). The former is more-or-less like Rapidweaver, while the latter is aimed towards people who come to web design via the print world.

I'm sure others will have even more suggestions, but all of them have free trials, so you might want to try putting together a little "test project" with your pre-made assets (logos, pictures, copy, etc) and see which one works best for you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trash | Invalid Cert (Yahoo) »