New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Video Mirroring

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

avlavl

avlavl has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I am connecting my large monitor to my MacBook but the large monitor is not displaying what I see on the MacBook. How do I make the large monitor display the same? I was told to turn on video mirroring but I do not have the arrangement display on my MacBook to do that. How do I accomplish this.
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Go into System preferences and open the Displays pane. Click the "Arrangement" tab. The Mirror Displays checkbox will be near the bottom. Check it and close the pane.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
avlavl

however, I only have a single display showing and therefore, the arrangement is not displayed. So I cannot see that portion. Any other suggestions as to how to get this accomplished?
QUOTE Thanks
avlavl

My MacBook shows that I have a singular display when I open up "Display" to get to the arrangement. However, I cannot see the arrangements to execute the video mirroring. How do I make this happen? Anybody?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Merged threads - please do not crosspost.

If you click "Detect Displays," does it pick up the secondary monitor?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
avlavl

Sorry, there is a detect display button, but it does nothing when I click on it.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you have a second monitor plugged in properly, OS X should be able to detect it. In fact, it should be able to detect it without having to open System Preferences. How are you connecting your monitor to your Mac?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
avlavl

I bought a micro DVI that is plugged into the MacBook with the larger part plugged into the VGA slot on the back of the monitor. The monitor comes on showing the desktop but not the icons. I have nothing to click on. I can use the mouse on both computers. "Does this help?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Is it possible that the second display preferences screen could be hiding *behind* the main one? (box behind the box, so to speak)? Trying moving the Display Preferences around.
QUOTE Thanks
avlavl

Yes. My MacBook is sitting right in front of the large monitor. I will rearrange later and let ya know the results.
QUOTE Thanks
avlavl

I made the above corrections and still cannot get the larger monitor's screen to show the same as on the MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Were you ever able to turn on mirroring? If you successfully turned on mirroring, the external monitor will default to the resolution of the MacBook unless you run the MacBook in clamshell mode. Running in clamshell mode will allow the external to run at its full native resolution.
QUOTE Thanks
avlavl

Had to go to the Mac store and got everything running well. Was so simple. I guess the pros were not on this site when I needed them the most.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Glad you got it worked out. What finally fixed it?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlavl View Post
Had to go to the Mac store and got everything running well. Was so simple. I guess the pros were not on this site when I needed them the most.
Kind of a insulting reply since folks here went out of their way to help you, don't you think? You have to remember, that we are not standing in front of your machine but have to rely on your description of the problem.

Now have the courtesy to reply to the forum describing what the "Pros" did to resolve things for you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why We Switched | Notes »