New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

iPhoto Questions, Please Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nicholas17

Nicholas17 is on a distinguished road

I just switched to a Mac after using Windows my whole life, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see that it's similar enough to catch onto very quickly. So far I;m happy.

One thing I've always used my computer for is to store and organize lots of pictures. On my old PC, I had tons of folders and subfolders of pictures. For example: Holidays/Halloween/Halloween 07, or, Concerts/ The Decemberists Concerts/ The Decemberists 2010. I've already moved all of these folders to my Finder Pictures folder, and in all their complexity they are organized exactly how they were before.

I'm a little confused about iPhoto though. I guess the best way for me to do this is to separate my questions:

1) First of all, if I import all of these pictures from all of my folders on my mac into iPhoto, would it be stupid for me to keep all the folders and individual pictures anyway? It seems like iPhoto keeps all the thousands of pictures in one file, and I don't like not being able to work with the individual files.

2) If I wanted to organize my pictures in iPhoto the same way as in my folders, is this how I would do it? Folder = Concerts, Folder = The Decemberists, Album = The Decemberists 2010? I hope that question makes sense.

3) Lastly, is this one, massive iphoto library file going to take up as much space on my harddrive as my individual picture files in finder? Would it essentially be having all of my pictures on my harddrive twice?

Thanks so much. I like the interface of iPhoto a lot or I wouldn't even bother with this. I may still not...
QUOTE Thanks
texasnana

texasnana is on a distinguished road

I wish I had put my photos from my pc into a folder outside iphoto.
Iphoto has stopped working for me after I did an update and now I can't get to my photos at all. They do exist . If you have room I'd leave the copy.
I love editing photos in iphoto and hope I can get it working again
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnana View Post
I wish I had put my photos from my pc into a folder outside iphoto.
Iphoto has stopped working for me after I did an update and now I can't get to my photos at all. They do exist . If you have room I'd leave the copy.
I love editing photos in iphoto and hope I can get it working again
Before you go too far make a copy of your existing iPhoto library. Your photos are probably still there but the library is corrupted. I don't do a lot with iPhoto anymore but you should be able to right click and show contents to get to the folders with your photos.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I have spent many years in the Windows jungle... | Lion Upgrade »