New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Lion Upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vank66

vank66 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD

What's the procedure for getting the Lion Upgrade from the ITunes store?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

You don't get it from the iTunes store. You get it from the Mac App Store.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
vank66

Mac Specs: iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD

OK so I get from the App store, what's the procedure?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I may be presuming too much, but it sounds like you're not aware that the Mac App Store is an entirely different thing to the various wares sold inside iTunes.

The Mac App Store is available on your machine IF you are already running Mac OS X 10.6.6 or higher, so first thing to do if you're not is upgrade to that level. Once that's done, the Mac App Store will be on your Dock (on the far left).

Launch the Mac App Store, sign in (using your iTunes account information), and if for some strange reason Lion is not all over the front page, type it into the search bar. Then buy it exactly as you would any other app.

I'd strongly recommend both a complete backup of your existing system as-is (both Time Machine *and* a bootable clone to a different drive) and a going over with your utility tool of choice to make sure permissions, caches, fonts and other ephemera are ship-shape. THEN do the upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vank66 View Post
OK so I get from the App store, what's the procedure?
You run the installer program that automatically starts after you download it. It's very simple.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And update to OS X.6.8 prior to connecting to the App Store.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Spang

Spang has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac OS X Version 10.9.4 MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is absolutely necessary and 1 is not-at-all necessary, how necessary is it that I upgrade to Lion? Also, will Snow Leopard continue to be updated?
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

if you have any apps that you need, and haven't been cleared as working, don't upgrade yet.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang View Post
On a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is absolutely necessary and 1 is not-at-all necessary, how necessary is it that I upgrade to Lion? Also, will Snow Leopard continue to be updated?
For now, 1. Over time that will increase to 10, but that would 3-5 years distant.

SL may get some security fixes as new issues are disclosed but there will likely never be a 10.6.9 or beyond. It's pretty much done, although you may find it useful for some years to come.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If the past is any guide, Snow Leopard will be actively updated for a while yet.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate Lion a 3 based on what I know about it (haven't installed yet -- NEVER install a major system upgrade in the middle of a project!). As baggss said, over time it will become a 10. Spend a little time checking that the programs you rely on are Lion-compatible before upgrading.
QUOTE Thanks
vank66

OK Thanks to all, I have Lion installed.Only problem so far, Skype doesn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
Spang

Spang has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac OS X Version 10.9.4 MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
if you have any apps that you need, and haven't been cleared as working, don't upgrade yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
For now, 1. Over time that will increase to 10, but that would 3-5 years distant.

SL may get some security fixes as new issues are disclosed but there will likely never be a 10.6.9 or beyond. It's pretty much done, although you may find it useful for some years to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
If the past is any guide, Snow Leopard will be actively updated for a while yet.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate Lion a 3 based on what I know about it (haven't installed yet -- NEVER install a major system upgrade in the middle of a project!). As baggss said, over time it will become a 10. Spend a little time checking that the programs you rely on are Lion-compatible before upgrading.
Good info, thanks a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by vank66 View Post
OK Thanks to all, I have Lion installed.Only problem so far, Skype doesn't work.
Reinstall the program, apparently, and it should work fine.

Whoda thought Skype would get something right these days!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto Questions, Please Help | newbie office problem »