Thread: Lion Upgrade

Specs:
    iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
    Lion Upgrade
    What's the procedure for getting the Lion Upgrade from the ITunes store?

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    You don't get it from the iTunes store. You get it from the Mac App Store.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
    Lion Upgrade
    OK so I get from the App store, what's the procedure?

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I may be presuming too much, but it sounds like you're not aware that the Mac App Store is an entirely different thing to the various wares sold inside iTunes.

The Mac App Store is available on your machine IF you are already running Mac OS X 10.6.6 or higher, so first thing to do if you're not is upgrade to that level. Once that's done, the Mac App Store will be on your Dock (on the far left).

Launch the Mac App Store, sign in (using your iTunes account information), and if for some strange reason Lion is not all over the front page, type it into the search bar. Then buy it exactly as you would any other app.

I'd strongly recommend both a complete backup of your existing system as-is (both Time Machine *and* a bootable clone to a different drive) and a going over with your utility tool of choice to make sure permissions, caches, fonts and other ephemera are ship-shape. THEN do the upgrade.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by vank66 View Post
    OK so I get from the App store, what's the procedure?
    You run the installer program that automatically starts after you download it. It's very simple.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    And update to OS X.6.8 prior to connecting to the App Store.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    Mac OS X Version 10.9.4 MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    On a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is absolutely necessary and 1 is not-at-all necessary, how necessary is it that I upgrade to Lion? Also, will Snow Leopard continue to be updated?

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    if you have any apps that you need, and haven't been cleared as working, don't upgrade yet.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by Spang View Post
    On a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is absolutely necessary and 1 is not-at-all necessary, how necessary is it that I upgrade to Lion? Also, will Snow Leopard continue to be updated?
    For now, 1. Over time that will increase to 10, but that would 3-5 years distant.

SL may get some security fixes as new issues are disclosed but there will likely never be a 10.6.9 or beyond. It's pretty much done, although you may find it useful for some years to come.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    If the past is any guide, Snow Leopard will be actively updated for a while yet.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate Lion a 3 based on what I know about it (haven't installed yet -- NEVER install a major system upgrade in the middle of a project!). As baggss said, over time it will become a 10. Spend a little time checking that the programs you rely on are Lion-compatible before upgrading.

Specs:
    OK Thanks to all, I have Lion installed.Only problem so far, Skype doesn't work.

Specs:
    Mac OS X Version 10.9.4 MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
    if you have any apps that you need, and haven't been cleared as working, don't upgrade yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    For now, 1. Over time that will increase to 10, but that would 3-5 years distant.

SL may get some security fixes as new issues are disclosed but there will likely never be a 10.6.9 or beyond. It's pretty much done, although you may find it useful for some years to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    If the past is any guide, Snow Leopard will be actively updated for a while yet.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate Lion a 3 based on what I know about it (haven't installed yet -- NEVER install a major system upgrade in the middle of a project!). As baggss said, over time it will become a 10. Spend a little time checking that the programs you rely on are Lion-compatible before upgrading.
    Good info, thanks a lot.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by vank66 View Post
    OK Thanks to all, I have Lion installed.Only problem so far, Skype doesn't work.
    Reinstall the program, apparently, and it should work fine.

Whoda thought Skype would get something right these days!

Thread Information