eMac can't boot retail OSX
    A relative bought a second hand eMac (White) I formatted the drive via PC while cleaning it out. Ordered new Jaguar retail discs (White with X) and tried booting from Disc 1 with "C" and it showed a globe icon (Boot from lan?) followed by a flashing folder with an icon. Booting with the Alt key (Option) loaded a screen with what looks to be a refresh button and a forward arrow. Neither appear to do anything other than the refresh button which probably looks for bootable devices. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by dazed_Confused View Post
    A relative bought a second hand eMac (White) I formatted the drive via PC while cleaning it out. Ordered new Jaguar retail discs (White with X) and tried booting from Disc 1 with "C" and it showed a globe icon (Boot from lan?) followed by a flashing folder with an icon. Booting with the Alt key (Option) loaded a screen with what looks to be a refresh button and a forward arrow. Neither appear to do anything other than the refresh button which probably looks for bootable devices. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
    Which eMac model do you have (there were 6 different models)?

Depending which model eMac you have...Jaguar (OS 10.2) may be too old. Some of the last eMac's shipped with OS 10.4 (Tiger) which means anything older will not install.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Model A1002 EMC No 1955. When I first booted it before wiping the hard drive it was running 10.2.8 so thats what I assumed I needed.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    Lookup Mac Specs By Serial Number, Order, Model & EMC Number, Model ID @ EveryMac.com

There is no EMC number like you posted. ARe you sure on that?

White Jaguar CD?

I'm absolutely sure thats what the bottom plate says "Model No. A1002 EMC No. 1955" I thought the exact same thing when I tried to look up the specs they only had 1903 for an EMC. Its throwing me for a loop.

I managed to get more info from the serial. eMac ATI CTO. It originally came with 10.2.5 so I'm guessing I have the wrong disc?

Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    White Jaguar CD?
    Yes a white Jaguar CD.

Thats what I've got. So is my next step getting 10.3 Panther?

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Yes. Apparently the eMac shipped with 10.2.5, so it can't go any lower than that.

Panther discs shouldn't be too hard to find, but as you already know they need to be retail discs.

Thread Information