New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacPro Build Advice.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dmccloud

dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

Just to give an idea of what Thunderbolt can do, Apple's new Thunderbolt Display gives you a 2560-by-1440 display, FaceTime HD camera, audio, three USB 2.0 ports, a FireWire 800 port, a Gigabit Ethernet port, and a Thunderbolt port. It also provides power to your Thunderbolt equipped MacBook Air/MacBook Pro. And all of that can run through the Thunderbolt port without any issue, as Thunderbolt is capable of up to 10 GBps throughput. Basically, you don't need any other ports on the Mac if there is a Thunderbolt port.

-------------------------------------------------
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The only thing that is very clear is that Apple INTENDS to add TB to their entire lineup of computers as quickly as possible, which most of us take to mean no later than the end of the year. Late summer/Early fall TENDS to be when Apple makes their last big announcements of the year and this year it is obvious we are going to be getting quite a goody bag -- new iOS version, new iPhone, new iCloud (et al) services, and during the last conference call with analysts they promised there is some new hardware in the pipeline for this year, so the Mac Pro looks likelier with each passing day, but there's no guarantees. The MP is not a "xmas gift" type product so it will certainly be the last to get TB technology.
QUOTE Thanks
bazanders

bazanders will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB

There is also of course the vicious rumour doing the rounds that the mac pro line is being discontinued. This could hold some credibility as apple seem to be going away from the pro end, i.e. recently dumped the Xserve rackmount servers, and shoved a label on a mac pro and said use this instead. IMO this will happen but not for a year or two, time will tell.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagedfatkid View Post
I am planning to become a switcher. Used windows all my life but im done with that garbage. Buying a laptop or 2 every year has gotten old and expensive.
good for you man.

Quote:
I want to buy a desktop computer that will last me at least 5-10 years. Furtureproofing!
If you've got loads of money, a Mac Pro is awesome. youll get 5-10 years hopefully no problem.

No money? iMac, or build yourself a PC.

Quote:
What is the big differnce betweent he following:
2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nahalem"
VS
3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nahalem"
latter is clocked slightly higher and so CPU intensive processes will finish slightly earlier.

Quote:
1 TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3GB/s hard drive
VS
512GB SSD
first is a magnetic hard drive. much slower but higher capacity for less money.

SSDs are phenomenally fast, but the technology is newer and more expensive for the capacity you get in return.

the latter will make booting up and app loading times considerably quicker.

Quote:
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
VS
Two ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
both rather old cards. but if you dont need gaming, and are only running two displays max, one will do you fine.

Quote:
I have already an external 3TB hard drive. So I really dont need 1 TB internal. I wanted to know if the 512GB SSD is acutally worth the extra $1,400.
if it were me, Id buy an 80GB SSD for >100$ and install it myself for the OS, and use a the 1TB internal for storage. Its a piece of cake to install a drive in a Mac Pro.

Quote:
Is there any added benefits to having 2 of the graphics cards instead of one? I will only be using 1 moniter, possibly 2 at the most.
only when gaming, using Crossfire. dont know if the Mac OS supports Crossfire. Then again, these cards arent exactly great for gaming.

no difference monitor wise.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
dmccloud

dmccloud has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD

The 5770 is a great card for gaming, even better when you have two of them. I have a 5750 on my Windows machine (which I only use for gaming now), and I have no issues running any games on it, even with all settings maxed out.

-------------------------------------------------
15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccloud View Post
The 5770 is a great card for gaming, even better when you have two of them. I have a 5750 on my Windows machine (which I only use for gaming now), and I have no issues running any games on it, even with all settings maxed out.
what are you running, Angry Birds with full details? Id be surprised if a 5750 could max Crysis at 1080p.

FWIW, Crossfire (AMD/ATI's dual GPU technology) is prone to alot of driver errors and bugs. usually all depends on the app your running but alot of people have experienced problems. Most commonly youll find people moaning about micro-stuttering.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finding folder on OS X Lion | Does Microsoft Office 2004 work with Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6)? »