New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New MBA 13", good for a college student?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

davyvfr

davyvfr is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2012; Intel i5, Intel HD 4000, 500gb HDD, 13'' screen

I am happy to see that a new MacBook Air has just been recently released. I am planning to buy a laptop for college real soon. My original plan was to buy a MacBook Pro 13" w/ i5 and buy an Ipad 2 (64GB) to take to class. However, now that the MacBook Air is out, my mind has been changed. I could still store music, games, and work related things on the Air and thanks to the new CPU, daily task should be faster. The illuminated keyboard is nice since they bought that back. Although their isn't any benchmarks, is it worth getting the MacBook Air 13" maxed out (1.8ghz i7 and 256GB HDD)?

Onlive Gaming is the Future!
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

More than enough to satisfy your college needs. Would recommend having an external for backups and storage of files you don't need on a daily basis. The new Airs are Sweeeeeeet!
QUOTE Thanks
StMFA

StMFA will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2

The MBP may still have better performance (haven't seen benchmarks comparing the two yet), though the disk performance will be far slower on the MBP unless you get an SSD for it. That said, I really don't think the 1.8 i7 is worth it, because I think the i5 1.7 also has hyperthreading, and the extra 100 MHz isn't going to make a huge difference. My vote is either top end MBA stock config w/ apple care, or MBP with iPad 16 or 32, (64 is utter overkill, even if you need music/movies, theyre are plenty of streaming apps available)
QUOTE Thanks
Zizuno

Zizuno is on a distinguished road

i5 doesn't have hyperthreading. The new MBA's have had geekbench done to them and according to that, they are on par with the 2010 MBPs.
QUOTE Thanks
StMFA

StMFA will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizuno View Post
i5 doesn't have hyperthreading. The new MBA's have had geekbench done to them and according to that, they are on par with the 2010 MBPs.
Sandy Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Intel® Core™ i5 Mobile Processor

Yes they do.
QUOTE Thanks
Young Spade

Young Spade is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizuno View Post
Amazing how wrong people are isn't it?

But yea, I would say to get the baseline 13 inch MBA and an external hard drive to store your data. That would give you the best gang for your buck, so to speak. Keep in mind that it isn't upgradable (only the SSD) so if you want more RAM in the future you're just going to have to get another machine.

I would also suggest getting the 13 inch as you get the 7 hour battery opposed to the 4.5 hours every is getting with the 11 inch.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apps for MBA compared to iPad | New Laptop or Tower? »