New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Is 128 SSD enough space?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gomavs

gomavs is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am an 18 year old who is about to go to college and I am getting a 13-inch macbook pro and I have been thinking about getting the 128 GB ssd instead of the 500 GB @ 7200 rpm hdd. But I am not totally sure 128 GB is enough even though I think it is.

To give you some background I am a business major so I dont think I will be editing or dealing with videos or pictures bc im no photographer. Also, general programs I will have are all the general apple things and windows 2011, adobe creative suite 5.5, acrobat x pro, identity finder for home edition, and symantec endpoint protection 11.0.

Also I would like this computer and the 128 GB to last me 5 years.

So is 128 GB enough? Also I understand it is pretty easy to put a third party ssd so would that be better and does that break warrant?
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

storing word documents and general image files such as jpegs? Fine.

storing music, video, games, intense amounts of apps? Not really. CS5 is a pretty hefty amount of GB as it is.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
geraint84

geraint84 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro 2011 17 sandybridge

I get on fine with 128 on my air, i run some dj apps and use it allot for work ie word, excel stuff. You will be surprised how far it goes. However you do find yourself consciously being very careful and mindful of what you use. Just depends whether you can live with that or not.

int main () { cout << "Hello World!"; return 0; }
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff Dias

Jeff Dias is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13' Macbook Pro mid 2010, OS X 10.6.7, Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD

256gb is better, It's like, you don't need to worry that much and will be able to storage many things you use.

I'm planning to get one for me
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

A lot of times people discover how easy it is to store music,photos,videos and other
assorted files and programs that they do more than on their previous OS and space becomes an issue.
QUOTE Thanks
Zizuno

Zizuno is on a distinguished road

If you are worried about pictures and music, get an external to store those files to.
QUOTE Thanks
Young Spade

Young Spade is on a distinguished road

Just get the 128 model and buy an external hard drive. You're going to get a TON of space for the remainder you saved as opposed to getting 128 more gigs of on space storage. Of course, if you can't live with having some files on an external drive, you might have to go with the 256.

On my 320gb drive, I had a ton of space left off after having TONS of photos, music files, and all of my documents and videos (how many videos do you need to keep on the drive anyway?) I did not play games, however, so that's a big chunk that was left free.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Like the old question is a piece of string long enough. Resolve not to download and/or install too much iTunes, apps, games, photos etc and you will be A OK!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Spade View Post
Just get the 128 model and buy an external hard drive.
My sediments exactly.
And WD have some pretty small 320GB, 500GB Ext that will fit in your pocket. Now thats portable

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
My sediments exactly.
What "grounds" do you offer for this misuse of words?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Looking into his coffee cup maybe? No doubt done in jest!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Plunger actually . . . . .

Oh well *throws hands in the air* All i can say is it can happen to the best of us

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
macrostheblack

macrostheblack is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive

Not to stir the pot at all but the main benefit I have noticed with ssd is speed. Now supposedly they are also supposed to less prone to mechanical brake down. but that being siad i have a pc that i installed an ssd in and it crapped out in less then 3 months. i also have to say that that particular rig is used for gaming and nothing more and the only reason i opted for the ssd was speed. Personally I still feel that ssd are far to much money for speed you will never notice if not using the rig for gaming. Just my humble observation. Btw it is kind of fun to brag up your ssd tho.

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

A pure SSD is faster - but from what you've mentioned, consider the seagate momentus xt (if you are willing to put in the hard drive)
Seagate Momentus XT hybrid hard drive review -- Engadget
There have been varying reports on getting warranty work when you have replaced parts, but if the HD fails and it isn't officially Apple's HD then they aren't going to warranty that of course.

Anyway - I have put the 500GB version into my old Dell Laptop and my Macbook Pro. It has been a good compromise of speed vs cost vs size. I still get 500GB but I do see some speed up. Check the review (and search the web) - There were some early reports of issues with Macs but I think that has all been shaken out. I haven't had any problems with Snow Leopard, and Lion seems to be running fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Gaming Specs | is a mac ok for business school? »