Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    98
    Specs:
    27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
    Apple RAM vs. Other
    Howdy,

    Just a quick question. I'm incredibly happy with my iMac but like most, you can pretty much never have enough RAM.

    I have two questions:

    1) Why is Apple RAM so expensive? Seems leaps and bounds more expensive than others on the market.

    2) Is there a reason to buy Apple RAM rather than other third party ones.

    Ok, I guess I lied, because I have one more question:

    3) If you would rather buy third party RAM, where would you buy it? Meaning most trusted, best quality.


    Thank you all!

  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    36,524
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by MacPastor View Post
    1) Why is Apple RAM so expensive?
    If you're talking about ram that is purchased during the configuration step when buying a new computer...Apple may be including some sort of "installation charge" on top of the cost of the ram. But...as we almost always recommend...ram (in almost all cases with newer Mac's) is VERY easy to install, and less expensive from other retailers.

    So financially speaking...no need to purchase Apple ram. If convenience is more important...then buying Apple ram & getting a new Macintosh totally configured the way the new owner would like it...then buying Apple ram makes sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by MacPastor View Post
    2) Is there a reason to buy Apple RAM rather than other third party ones.
    Other than convenience...not really. Although sometimes ram upgrades (at more modest ram upgrade levels)...sometimes the Apple "upcharge" isn't always that bad vs. 3rd party retailers ram prices.

    Quote Originally Posted by MacPastor View Post
    Ok, I guess I lied, because I have one more question:
    Ooy...the "MacPaster" lied!! Go whip yourself!

    Quote Originally Posted by MacPastor View Post
    3) If you would rather buy third party RAM, where would you buy it? Meaning most trusted, best quality.
    These two guys are great places to purchase ram from:

    Crucial.com
    OWC

    HTH,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Oct 05, 2009
    Posts
    236
    Specs:
    2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigoo3 View Post
    Howdy,

    Just a quick question. I'm incredibly happy with my iMac but like most, you can pretty much never have enough RAM.

    I have two questions:

    1) Why is Apple RAM so expensive? Seems leaps and bounds more expensive than others on the market.

    2) Is there a reason to buy Apple RAM rather than other third party ones.

    Ok, I guess I lied, because I have one more question:

    3) If you would rather buy third party RAM, where would you buy it? Meaning most trusted, best quality.


    Thank you all!
    Apple RAM will always work, however, I find it to be a scam. I have 8Gb of G-Skill 1333 in my 2011 Macbook Pro and it runs just fine, as a matter of fast the ram is faster than Apple's and gave me ~150 more GB points.


    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    If you're talking about ram that is purchased during the configuration step when buying a new computer...Apple may be including some sort of "installation charge" on top of the cost of the ram. But...as we almost always recommend...ram (in almost all cases with newer Mac's) is VERY easy to install, and less expensive from other retailers.

    So financially speaking...no need to purchase Apple ram. If convenience is more important...then buying Apple ram & getting a new Macintosh totally configured the way the new owner would like it...then buying Apple ram makes sense.
    No, I think he means the "Apple Ram" you find at Amazon and Newegg. That stuff is just marketing, same exact stuff almost, just a small Apple Cert.

  4. #4

    MYmacROX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2009
    Posts
    3,625
    Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Technically speaking, Apple doesn't make RAM. There's the stuff they use pre-installed when you order it that way and as Sonicjet pointed out, there's stuff other sellers market as "Apple RAM".

    Go to crucial.com and install the crucial system scanner. It will tell you exactly what type of RAM your Mac uses and how much it can max out at.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

    Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    98
    Specs:
    27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
    Thank you all for your responses. To clarify a bit, let me show you what I'm talking about. At the Apple.com store, 8GB of RAM from them is $400.00.

    Memory - Apple Store (U.S.)

    Now I could be wrong, but doesn't that sound a bit high? I'm still new to the MAC world, so maybe this is normal, but I guess it just seemed high.

  6. #6

    Bob_Stan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 17, 2011
    Posts
    312
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 3.5 Ghz 6 Core XEON, 1TB SSD,64GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 480GB SSD, 500GB HD, 16GB
    It is high. I buy from Crucial

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    98
    Specs:
    27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
    Awesome.

    So this begs the question...why the DRASTIC price difference? I mean, I can get 16gigs of memory from crucial for less than the price of 4gigs from Apple.

    Seems very unrealistic unless there is something THAT much better about the RAM that Apple sells.

  8. #8

    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by MacPastor View Post
    Awesome.

    So this begs the question...why the DRASTIC price difference?
    Because we live in a capitalist society and Apple is free to charge whatever they want. And as long as people keep buying it at that price, Apple will keep selling it.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  9. #9


    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    98
    Specs:
    27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post
    Because we live in a capitalist society and Apple is free to charge whatever they want. And as long as people keep buying it at that price, Apple will keep selling it.
    LOL...well, that pretty much sums it up doesn't it!!


    OK, well then how about a technical question. I believe that I have read that my iMac can upgrade RAM without having to upgrade in the same multiples.

    So what I mean is that I currently have 4GB on my system now. If I were to buy 8GB and upgrade, I would have 12 rather than 16.

    Can I expect any problems with this? Should I just go for the 16 total? Overkill?

  10. #10

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    50,276
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Quote Originally Posted by MacPastor View Post
    Awesome.

    So this begs the question...why the DRASTIC price difference? I mean, I can get 16gigs of memory from crucial for less than the price of 4gigs from Apple.

    Seems very unrealistic unless there is something THAT much better about the RAM that Apple sells.
    Have you ever gone to an automobile dealer's parts store? I can remember having to buy a rear tail light assembly for my Ford Mustang. Cost from dealer was $125.00. Same assembly from a NAPA store or from an internet parts store was just about half of that.

    The fact is that Apple uses and sells the same memory modules that you and I can buy from Crucial and OWC. Some folks may feel more comfortable about buying extra memory from Apple and have them install it. That's fine as long as one is willing to pay extra.

  11. #11

    Bob_Stan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 17, 2011
    Posts
    312
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 3.5 Ghz 6 Core XEON, 1TB SSD,64GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 480GB SSD, 500GB HD, 16GB
    I upgraded my iMac to 12 and there are no problems what so ever. Whether or not 16GB would be overkill depends on what you intend to do with the machine. It is likely you would never need 16 - and if you start with 12 you can always go to 16 later if you need it.

  12. #12

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    36,524
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Have you ever gone to an automobile dealer's parts store? I can remember having to buy a rear tail light assembly for my Ford Mustang. Cost from dealer was $125.00. Same assembly from a NAPA store or from an internet parts store was just about half of that.
    I was going to post a similar "auto parts" analogy. Rear brake pads for my wife's car from the dealer ($90 bucks)...same thing from Autozone $15-$20 bucks. Guess which I purchased???

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Crucial RAM or Apple's RAM?
    By Macadelic in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 11:50 AM
  2. Max Actual RAM vs Apple RAM
    By AlyciaAnimation in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 12:24 PM
  3. apple ram vs kensington ram
    By berrill in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 11:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •