New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

how to delete a dmg file

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rosin

rosin is on a distinguished road

Hi, I do not know I am having the same problem. I saved some file by using disk utility and was able to open using the password that I set. But, once my mac crashed and got repaired, I had to recover all the files( including the dmg files) and stored it in DW passport. When I connect the Passport to Mac and tried to delete the dmg files, I was not able to. It says, this file cannot be deleted.Please help.....
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Note: moved to it's own thread.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Does it give a reason why?

In use, no permissions, etc

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
jagardn

jagardn will become famous soon enough

Did you ever eject the dmg on your desktop?
QUOTE Thanks
rosin

It says the disc cannot be mounted. The file is locked and it does not ask the password to open or I cannot remove the selection of locked as it is inactive. I tried to eject and delete it. but the original is still there.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Try changing permissions. Right click on the dmg file and select "get info". On the bottom of the dialog box that opens you'll see the permissions for the dmg file. Click on the small lock at the bottom and enter your admin password. The lock should open. Once it opens, change the permissions to read and write. Exit the dialog and try once more to delete the file.
QUOTE Thanks
rosin

Yes, I tried to do that too. It says that it is a read only file. when I set it up, it was read and write. I do not know how it turned in to read only. ' locked' is inactive too. Anyway, thanks for the reply.
QUOTE Thanks
MacMan10121

MacMan10121 is on a distinguished road

I accidentally downloaded 7zX and couldn't trash it. I went into finder to get my uninstaller utility but then i realised it wasn't ejected so I ejected it and then trashed is and now im good.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« newbie switcher query G5 powerbook | Any issues restoring software from Snow Leopard time machine to Lion? »