New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Questions regarding music and iTunes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nytestryke24

Nytestryke24 is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone
So, I ordered my iMac on Friday (brand new 21.5-inch 2.7 gHz i5)
and I have a question regarding making the move. (so glad to be finally getting a way from Windows... )

I have been using iTunes, and I have a relatively large music library (~1400 songs). Unfortunately, the organisation of the files is pretty awful, with album art and such in various places, as well as the music files themselves being dotted around in a couple folders, some in the folders that iTunes creates. My questions is as follows: which of all these files do I need to copy onto an external hard-drive to migrate over to the iMac when it arrives? Or would it be better just to rip the stuff from my iPod? (If so, could anyone recommend a good app/program for this?)

(Anything else pertaining to switching that anyone else is obviously much appreciated, though I have read chad's excellent post)

That's all for now,
thanks in advance,

~Nyte
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Switch 101: Migrate your Windows files or system to your Mac
QUOTE Thanks
Nytestryke24

Well yes, thank you for directing me to the resource that I originally turned to and didn't find the specific answers/opinions I was looking for. Did you read the link AND my questions?
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

If I remember right, Itunes does a search for all music on first initialization? If you aren't concerned with itunes dj or ratings then you could just search *.mp3 on windows, and put all in a folder and if tagging is correct it will add it 'the itunes' way. Once over to the mac, you can also use Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes ♫ - dougscripts.com as there are a number of scripts there that make a lot of things easier in itunes/music.

You could also take a look, ask or search the music part of these forums as this has been asked before..

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

This article ought to cover everything you need to know about moving your iTunes library. Since your music is in several folders pay particular attention to the first two steps. Move an iTunes library from a Windows PC to a Mac | Music and Audio | Playlist | Macworld

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Nytestryke24

Many thanks Aqua and Slydude. In particular the article looks to be just what I was looking for.
Does anyone happen to know if "metadata (information such as ratings and last played dates)" includes album artwork? (as, when going through my collection adding the artwork to songs which had none, I placed it in another folder)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New hard disc for Time Machine iMac | Earlier MacBook 17 - needs hard shell »